CBI Roundup
VOL. II        NO. 17        REG NO. L5015        DELHI,  THURSDAY                                              JANUARY  6,  1944.

A word to the wise should be sufficient. Write your girlfriend and tell her to take up swimming. For Better Stedman, New York model, got to be this shapely by dunking her form into aqua pura, leastwise according to the publicity staff for National Swim Week, which selected her as "Swim for Health Week Girl."

   NEW YORK - (UP) - The nation's largest city ushered in the fateful year of 1944 at the stroke of midnight in a New Year's Eve celebration climax which was New York's noisiest and most hectic of all time. It was the gayest and biggest crowd which ever jammed Times Square, and while, according to police, the number of revelers - over 900,000 - was the greatest in history, it was an orderly throng.

Sultan Becomes Deputy Chief

  Maj. Gen. Dan I. Sultan was this week named Deputy Commander under Lt. Gen. Joseph W. Stilwell, and the CBI Theater welcomed a veteran of 36 years' Regular Army service with a wealth of experience designed to add weight to the impending drive against the Japanese.
  Until five years ago assigned to the Corps of Engineers, Mississippi-born Sultan has since held Infantry commands - first a brigade in the Hawaiian Department for two years starting in 1939, completing his tour as a major general; then during 1941, the 38th Division training at Camp Shelby, Miss.; and, finally, the Eighth Army Corps in Texas until he was ordered to the CBI in November, 1943. He has in turn commanded all units from a platoon to an Army Corps.
  The shadow of things to come was cast by Sultan while an undergraduate at West Point. Classmates recall his four years as a football stalwart at tackle and center for the Cadet eleven and particularly his iron man stint as a senior in 1906, when he played every minute of every game on the schedule.
  Later - from 1912 through 1916 - he coached the West Point team. Significantly, the rosters included Cadets Eisenhower, Bradley, Larken, Pritchard, Hobbs, Woodruff and Gearhardt, all destined to become distinguished generals. He arranged the first of the famous Army-Notre Dame series when the immortal Knute Rockne was captain of the Fighting Irish and he was a member of the Football Rules Committee for three years when Walter Camp was its president.
  Sultan's decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal on two occasions, permitting him to wear the Oak Leaf Cluster with the medal. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Merit, Nicaragua, and the Congressional Medal of Distinction, these for a tour of duty 1929-31, when he commanded U.S. troops making a survey of the Inter-Oceanic Canal Route through Nicaragua. He was then appointed by President Herbert Hoover as a member of the Inter-Oceanic canal Board to determine what steps the United states should next take in enlarging and improving canal facilities across the Isthmus.
  During World War I, Sultan served as a colonel on the War Department General Staff for a four-year tour of duty and was in France and Germany for a short period as a General Staff Officer.
  He was an honor graduate of the General Staff School at Leavenworth in 1922 and graduated from the Army War College in the class of 1925.
  Among other important posts held by the general were membership of the Board of Engineers for Rivers and Harbors, Washington, D.C., 1926-29; assistant to Harry Hopkins in charge of the Civil Works Administration in Chicago and Cooks County, Ill., 1934; and appointment by President Roosevelt as one of the three commissioners of Washington, D.C., for a four-year term beginning in 1934.
  Sultan married Florence Braden, of West Point, in 1916 and has two daughters. His eldest daughter, Sheila, is the wife of Lt. Col. Marshal R. Gray, Army Air Force, now on duty in North Africa. His other daughter, Linda Fraser, is engaged in war work in the United States.

  From Times Square to swanky nightclub spots on the East Side to "little places" in the Village, and all around the town, the same spirit seemed to prevail - that victory for the United Nations will come in 1944. Over 2,000 special policemen, 125 Military Police and 100 of the Navy's Shore Patrol kept their eyes on the Broadway crowd, but there was little trouble.

  By midnight, only a record low of 40 alcoholics had been admitted to the Bellevue Hospital. Relaxed dimout rules permitted a brilliant backdrop for the Times Square celebration. Broadway florist and jewelry stores stayed open all night. In crowded nightclubs and hotels, bars kept serving drinks until four in the morning but no all-night permits were issued.
  Minimum charges averaged &10 per person, with the highest reported at $17.50. Many establishments stopped serving scarce whisky early, but tipplers continued undismayed with champagne, rum and brandy. Broadway hucksters sold paper imitation tin noisemakers except for one enterprising butcher, who got inflationary prices for a stock of pre-war horns.

  The celebration spread to all cities and towns as the time moved westward across the nation, and, as in New York, the holiday spree spending continued unabated despite record Christmas buying. Reservations in night clubs and amusement centers sold out coast-to-coast, prices ranging downward from Earl Carroll's Hollywood nightclub, with the cover charge minimum at $15 per person.
  Liquor shortages forced some restaurants to ask patrons to bring their own bottles, and many of New York's fancier restaurants planned to close at 10 p.m. to conserve depleted stocks of food and drinks.
  The number of holiday deaths numbered nearly 100, with traffic accidents claiming 65 lives.

14th Air Force Makes Sweep To Strike At Thailand

  14TH A. F. HQ. - Climaxing its activity during the past week, the 14th Air Force flews deep into Thailand on Dec. 31 to attack railroad installations at Lampang, unloading 50 tons of bombs which covered the center of the yards and caused secondary explosions which spiraled smoke up 10,000 feet.
  Earlier in the week, six Jap bombers, with 30 escorting Zeros, attacked a forward air base. Fighters shot down four Zeros confirmed, five probably and two damaged. One American fighter was lost, but the pilot was saved. One aircraft was destroyed on the ground and another damaged.
  At the same time, fighter-bombers bombed and strafed Japanese barracks at Phu Tho in French Indo-China, destroying four buildings and rolling stock. At the Dong airdrome, they destroyed heavy equipment and strafed a nearby rail station. Other fighters attacked Hwajung, in the Tung Ting Lake area, and strafed installations and buildings of the Paolichi airdrome. They then sank a 1,200-ton river boat and destroyed two locomotives north of Yochow.

  Mitchells, on Dec. 28, attacked river shipping on the Yangtze in the vicinity of Chicow. A 200-foot cargo vessel was sunk, a 1,175-foot double-decked vessel set afire and believed beached, and a 175-foot cargo ship set ablaze. Fighter-bombers attacked Yuinsi, near Yochow, scoring hits on five warehouses.
  On Dec. 30, 20 Jap fighters strafed a forward base. Without loss, our fighters intercepted the enemy, shooting down three, probably destroying another and damaging three. Mitchells, on a shipping sweep over the Yangtze, sank four ships and damaged one gunboat. One aircraft is missing from this mission.

  The day before, Mitchells, on a shipping sweep between Wuhu and Chicow, sank a cargo vessel, a passenger boat and damaged another cargo vessel and two river barges. Mambam and Hopong, in Central Burma were strafed by fighters.
  Fighter-bombers on Jan. 1-2 struck at French Indo-China and Hopang, Central Burma, respectively. At Hopang, barracks and buildings were hit and fires started. At Tehova, in French Indo-China, river boats and a railroad station were bombed with unobserved results.



  NEW YORK - The delightfully optimistic Japanese this week beamed a broadcast to Central America disclosing their post-war plan of building a super railway between Tokyo and Berlin, which would pass by tunnel under the Sea of Japan and then traverse plains, mountains and wastelands. The trip, the Japs predicted, would take seven days. "The benefits derived from such a line can be easily imagined," they explained soberly.

Still Coming

  They're still coming - 42,000 postal sacks full of them!
  Christmas presents, we mean. They piled up on the dock of a West Coast port this week like a mountain. The Theater A.P.O. staff, already on the ragged edge after a record-breaking handling of the relatively few presents which arrived before Christmas, took one look, winced, then dug in again.
  Now 37 carloads are en route to distant destinations, principally Assam and China, with plenty more to come for those India-bound G.I.'s who are closer at hand and therefore come last on the A.P.O.'s priority list.
  Sometime this week, you should be draping that hand-knit scarf from Aunt Matilda around your neck, or gazing in undisguised delight at that pair of gold cuff-links from Cousin Lulu.
  Latest communique from Santa Claus Headquarters: "War conditions and distance slowed me up a bit this year, chums, but it would take a helluva lot bigger ware than this to stop me altogether."
  Maybe this is a good idea, anyway. Practically amounts to two Christmas - one on Dec. 25 and the other when the presents get here.


  CALCUTTA - For the second straight year, Lt. Hal Surface, former high-ranking American tennis star, captured the East Indian Lawn Tennis Championships. In the finals he defeated Ghaus Mohammed, No. 1 player of India, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2.
  Surface, now a Special Service officer in C.B.I., required less than an hour to dispose of the local contender, having complete mastery of the game from the opening serve.
  Earlier in the tournament, W/O Jack Leidsinger, also a well-known U.S. netter, was eliminated. He and Surface competed in the doubles play as a team.


  CHINA - (Via Bullock Cart, Delayed) - Christmas festivities for the G.I.'s here challenged gloom with a triple threat and with points to spare.
  The Yuletide celebration, starting with a Christmas Eve house-warming of a recreation room opened by the Red Cross, progressed through a gala Christmas dinner in the new enlisted men's dining room and hit a new high for good times at a dance given Christmas night at the Victory House by Gen. and Mrs. Shang Chen. Gen. Shang is director of the Foreign Affairs Bureau of the Chinese National Military Council.
  The transformation of the old mess hall into a recreation room was handled so rapidly that many suspected that magic had been at work, the "magicians" being three charming, recently-arrived Red Cross girls, Mrs. Alice Kerr and Misses Eleanor Liss and Gerry Lennox.

  At the housewarming, well-arranged furniture, rugs and curtains, plus a really "ding how" Christmas tree, greeted the surprised G.I.'s and the affair was climaxed by the appearance of Santa Claus, thinly disguised as Sgt. George Kilgers, whose soft Dixie accent made many wonder if Santa really lives at the North Pole. Presents were dished out for everyone, including a surprise carton of cigarettes donated by General Motors, and refreshments were swilled, including cocktails, fruit cake and hot cocoa, and bags filled with candy, nuts and chocolate bars.
  Maj. Gen. Thomas Hearn and Brig. Gen. William Bergin made a brief appearance and were hailed by a spontaneous outburst of For He's a Jolly Good Fellow. Four cans of beer per man drawn earlier in the day improved, perhaps, the quality of the singing, but not the spirit with which the greeting was warbled.

  Next day, Christmas dinner - roast goose, apple and mince pie and all the trimmings. Messages from President Roosevelt and Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson were read, followed by a toast to the President, the Generalissimo, Lt. Gen. Joseph W. Stilwell, and to the Red Cross girls who were responsible for the mess hall's gay Christmas decorations.
  Shang'e party in the evening provided the end to a cheery holiday. It was attended by Chinese guests and enlisted men of the several United Nations represented here. The ballroom was beautifully decorated, the refreshments delicious and the music tops. Those who attended will long remember the Shang's gracious hospitality.

  China-anchored G.I.'s now have a rest camp which rivals in scenic splendor anything to be found in Kashmir, Murree Hills or Darjeeling. Here, 8,000 feet high among the rugged mountains by the shores of a blue lake, khaki-clads from all branches of the service have their choice of just plain loafing, swimming, hunting, mountain climbing and boating. It has been named Camp Schiel, in memory of Maj. Frank Schiel, intrepid AVG, China Air Task Force and 14th Air Force ace who died in combat. These three typical scenes were photographed by T/Sgt. John Shaffer. Following their Sunday meal, officers and men stroll from the dining hall to the shore of the lake where Old Glory proudly waves in the breeze as a symbol of what these soldiers are fighting for in China, far away from their homeland. Four khaki-clads in search of exercise help coolies carry water up a sharp incline, left to right: Sgt. Andrew Czompi, S/Sgt. George F. Logsden, S/Sgt. Walter Alderman and T/Sgt. John C. McKinney. Swimmers find a 10-foot and three-foot springboard on the diving tower, and there are plenty of row boats and a couple of motor boats for those who like their water sports dry.


  APO 689 - 'Twas quite a coincidence, everyone agreed.
  First there came the report that Joe E. Brown, the open-faced comedian, who was to be a guest at the open-air theater, could not make the date.
  Then came the news that Joe E. Brown was a patient at the nearby evacuation hospital.
  Autograph seekers flocked to the hospital, but were disappointed. Joe E. Brown was there, all right, but any similarity to the comedian ended after their names. The patient was a sergeant belonging to Uncle Sam's troupe. - By Pvt. LOU FRIEDMAN.


  The Roundup this week welcomes another Theater rival publication into the fold - The Informer. It is published entirely by enlisted men at A.P.O. 882, under the leadership of S/Sgt. Mark M. Cavanaugh. At present a six-page mimeographed sheet, the paper is bright, newsy and unrestrained, and undoubtedly is avidly read by all who get copies.
  The staff consists of Cpl. Chenoweth, editor; Pfc. Azad Avedis, assistant editor; S/Sgts. A. L. Barnum and Lynn C. Kraus, production editors; S/Sgt. Binkley, sports editor; Cpl. Breeden and Sgt. Dyer, associate editors; S/Sgt. Cardaro, social editor; and S/Sgt. Cavanaugh and Cpl. Ben Gripaldi, columnists.
  The paper got its name as the result of a contest which was won in collaboration by Cpl. Patsy Ciccarelli and Pfcs. Edward Efchak and Adolph Dravenack.

Obstacles are hurdled, not detoured, by these men of the Air Service Command, charged with the vital mission of "keeping 'em flying" against the Japs. Left to right, standing, are S/Sgt. Morris J. Johnson, T/Sgt. Leonard J. Duffin and S/Sgt. James Hollies; sitting, Sgt. Frank Zikes.
Could Be Theme Song
Of Ingenious ASC Boys

  CENTRAL INDIA ASC BASE - The melody that embraces the lyrical lines of I Get Along Without You Very Well might well be the theme song of the G.I.'s here whose 24-hour daily job is to assemble and patch up aircraft for paralyzing Jap installations in CBI-land.
  These men have not only taken their own jobs by the horns, but have also lit the fires of ingenuity.
  The war doesn't wait, so when parts, instruments or testing apparatus are ordered that waiting to provide would eat up precious time, Yank improvisation has been utilized to the nth degree. A stroll through the accessories shed would convince one he's either in a Rube Goldberg museum or looking at some of the things Junior builds from his Christmas mechanical set.
  To the tune of I Get Along Without You Very Well, ASC men dig into the scrap pile, strip an abandoned plane of tubing or gadgets, set up a table and, soon enough, have a home-made apparatus that fills the bill.

  S/Sgt. Morris J. Johnson was a meat cutter in Cornell, Wis., before enlisting in the Air Corps and training at Chanute Field as an airplane mechanic. He came to CBI-land 20 months ago. With only one carburetor tester, his shop was a bottleneck - until he picked up some scrap tubing and valves and added another jet to the tester. Now the testing has been virtually doubled.
  In the pump department, T/Sgt. Leonard J. Duffin had his headaches. He had such items as the cumulator, the brake system and the main emergency reserve to test for hydraulic pressure, but nothing for the testing. So from a dismantled P-40 he got a reservoir and from a B-25 he got a pump handle. He dug into the salvage pile and, when he had enough material, he set up a test bench that won immediate applause from Capt. George Hottel, accessories supervising officer. Duffin, a former lumber yard foreman, has also been in the Theater for 20 months.

  Sgt. Frank Zikes, Jr., former copy writer for an advertising agency in Jacksonville, Fla., also for 20 months a CBI-lander, had a problem similar to Duffin's. He needed a tester for brake cylinders and the landing gear and scurried around until he found some levers and tubing from a C-47 and a P-40 and then from odd bits of metal fashioned his test table, which serves its purpose as though it were professionally manufactured.
  A unique test panel, indeed, is the affair put together by S/Sgt. James Hollies, a bus cleaner and mechanic in his pre-khaki days. The governor and regulator panel he has devised now covers a multitude of shortages in the accessories shed and produces with consistent accuracy the amperage, voltage and continuity readings.

EAC Continues Heavy Bombing In Burma Area

  U.S. heavies, mediums and fighters of the Eastern Air Command gave a terrific whaling to the oil installations at Yenangyaung and Thittawbwe, in southern Burma, on Jan. 2-3. They let loose with well over 100 tons of demolition and incendiary bombs and frag clusters on the refinery and topping plant, the pumping station, pipelines and storage tanks, the workshops, store yards and power station.
  At Thittawbwe, six storage tanks received direct hits; the power station was blanketed by bombs which fell on the generator house, stores, a boiler house and other installations.


After his epic 18,000-mile plane flight to Portland, Ore., Cpl. Marvin Wilson of the CBI Theater reached the side of his wife in a hospital where she was allowed out of her iron lung long enough to give birth to their child, a daughter. Physicians credit Wilson's timely arrival with the successful birth and say his wife will eventually recover from infantile paralysis.

  On Jan. 2, other heavies dropped 12 tons on Akyab.
  Fighter-bomber activity did not slacken in northern Burma. A rail bridge by-pass at Loilaw was attacked on the same two days. Hits were scored on the approaches and several near misses weakened the bridge structure. Two anti-aircraft positions were strafed and silenced. Tracks and rolling stock on a siding were blasted. Twenty cars burned completely and 20 others were derailed. Four locomotives caught in the area were strafed and immobilized. A dozen fires were left burning in Loilaw town. In the warehouse area, two buildings went up in flames and a large oil fire was started.
  On Jan. 3, the warehouse and dump areas at Sahmaw were attacked with marked success. All bombs scored direct hits or near misses on rolling stock and warehouses near the main siding. In the dump area, a large oil fire was started which was reported still burning fiercely hours later. At least 12 fires were started throughout the town.

  The new year started with a successful attack on the main airdrome at Myitkyina by fighter-bombers. Twenty-four direct hits were made on the runway. The dispersal area received other hits and eight fires were started in a heavy strafing attack on the dispersal and dump areas around the airdrome.
  Other targets over the year-end included the Alon warehouse and rail yard areas, where mediums dropped more than 21 tons of bombs, and the Monywa rail yards, where heavies dropped 29 tons, starting many fires in both places. The Mu River bridge was bombed for the 12th time in eight months; this time the central span was destroyed. Accompanying fighters left 30 railway cars riddled or in flames.
  Fighters and fighter-bombers were active throughout the Hukawng Valley in direct support of ground troops during the period under review, while the RAF disrupted rail and river communications and delivered some telling blows of its own, particularly in southern Burma. On the morning of Dec.31, units of the Light Coastal Force, returning from an operation in the course of which Japanese positions on Ramree Island were bombarded, were intercepted by the enemy. In the ensuing air battle, 13 Japanese aircraft were destroyed and several others probably destroyed and damaged.


  NEW YORK - (UP) - Honorable Discharge buttons for persons discharged from the Armed Forces since Sept. 9, 1939, are being distributed throughout the metropolitan area.
  Soldiers are obtaining the buttons free on presentation of certificates of honorable discharge or a certificate of service.

Indiana Swells Ranks Of Home State Clubs

  Another precinct was heard from along the great native State or home town club front this week. A breathless communique reached the Roundup office with news that Indiana has now entered the list, with a powerful club organization at A.P.O. 628.
  The Roundup's informant, W/O Paul R. Cross, allows as how he and the other Hoosiers of his select little group can out-talk and out-lie denizens of any other State who have not had the advantage of sitting on a Hoosier cracker barrel. He particularly mentioned, with ill-concealed sneers, Texas and California.
  Then, on second thought, he evidently realized he had taken in a lot of territory, for he wants reinforcements. His idea is that he'd like to hear from other Indianans in the Theater, with the object of organizing Indiana clubs elsewhere.

Like a protective cloak, Old Glory leans out from the mast of a tug to wave over the repatriated Americans returning to their homeland after two years in Japanese internment camps. Bringing 1,500 cheering, weeping Yanks and Canadians home, the Swedish exchange liner Gripsholm steams into her pier.


  Now can be told one of the most dramatic stories of the war . . a story of men and transport planes pitted against jagged mountain peaks, menacing jungle, treacherous weather and enemy action in an epic struggle to ferry vital war supplies from India to China.
  Since March, 1942, when President Roosevelt assured China that it would be supplied by air, until this week, almost two years later, operations over "The Hump" had been clothed in military secrecy, although the Japanese knew that China was not receiving supplies via a tunnel through the Himalayas.
  Today the exploits of the India-China Wing of the Air Transport Command, may be revealed to the world, and they will add many glowing pages to aviation history and immortalize not only the intrepid pioneers of the Hump flight but also the pilots and crews who today are delivering more goods to China monthly than the two-year average that crawled tediously over the Burma Road.
  Four worn, beaten-up DC-3's constituted the April 1942 air power of the Hump operations under Col. (now Brig. Gen.) Caleb V. Haynes, AVG hero, who since has gone home. Lt. Col. (now Brig. Gen.) William D. Old flew the first to China, ferrying gas that was to be used by the B-25's of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo had they reached safety. These same planes performed a herculean task flying evacuees to safety as the Jap tide of conquest swept up Burma. On one memorable occasion, Lt. Jake Sartz took 75 persons out in one plane. The last ship soared off the strip at Myitkyina just as the Japs were entering the outskirts of the village.
  After struggling desperately to build up plane and pilot strength and carve fields out of the wilderness, Haynes' Assam-China-India Ferry Command on Aug. 1 was made part of the 10th Air Force under Maj. Gen. Clayton L. Bissell and renamed the India-China Ferry Command. Here, while stepping up the tempo of deliveries, it continued to undergo an organizational period of airdrome construction, plotting routes and setting up supply bases.
  Col. (now Brig. Gen.) E. H. Alexander of the ATC, took over operations Dec. 31. Conditions were still primitive. The fields were not yet fully completed, often bogged in mire and it was not infrequent that cows had to be chased off the runways. But Alexander received some Curtiss Commandos. These had not yet completed their tests, but the need was pressing. Countless modifications had to be made. Crackups were not infrequent because of the mounting pressure for supplies in China. Often planes were grounded for lack of parts. One crash put four planes in the air when the damaged plane was "cannibalized" of its parts. There were not enough transport pilots available, and so single-engine pilots were pressed into service after attending operational schools in the United States and India. It was no picnic.
  In August of 1943, Maj. Gen. Harold L. George, CG of the ATC, made an inspection of the Wing and, as a result, supply lines were improved, the parts situation helped by installation of a constant shuttle service from the United States, and the Wing was split into two sections, one for Hump operation, the other for low-level flying in India.
  In October, Alexander and his staff, exhausted, having been overseas prior to taking the Hump assignment, went home and Brig. Gen. Earl S, Hoag was brought from the Africa Middle East Wing, along with Col. Thomas O. Hardin, who assumed command of Hump operations.
  Under the aggressive Hoag, the Hump operations are now round-the-clock, with the introduction of night flying. Another feature that has stepped up what was once a mere trickle to a flow greater than the amount of pre-war freight carried by U.S. airlines is the radioing of engine status to the field a half-hour before landing and preparation for a return takeoff with a new crew. In China, a reply by indorsement is demanded if the transport is not up in the air an hour after it has landed.
  Seventy to eighty percent of personnel are now being returned to safety who have been forced to 'chute to the ground. A rescue squadron's crews stand by at all times for signals, then, equipped with medical supplies, maps, food, signal panels and other necessities, search for the missing. When found, the 'chutists inform the flight surgeon and his two enlisted assistants by panels whether anyone is seriously injured and they jump, if necessary. Daily contact is maintained with the party making its way to safety.
  One of the intrepid airmen reported missing is Capt. John Porter, colorful leader of the rescue squadron. Among his most daring exploits was attacking a Jap Zero on the ground with a transport. The pilot of the Zero was sitting on the wing of his plane, so Porter jumped him with a Bren gun, killed him and set his ship ablaze. Another time he kicked fragmentation bombs out of his plane on a Jap encampment and thoroughly confounded American and British Intelligence when they intercepted a Jap radio report of a bombing where none had been scheduled.

The C.B.I. Roundup is a weekly newspaper published by and for the men of the United States Army Forces in China, Burma, and India, from news and pictures supplied by staff members, soldier correspondents, the United Press, and the War Department. The Roundup is published Thursday of each week and is printed by The Statesman in New Delhi, India. Editorial matter should be sent directly to Lt. Floyd Walter, Rear Echelon Hq., U.S.A.F., C.B.I., New Delhi, and should arrive not later than Monday in order to make that week's issue. Pictures must arrive by Sunday and must be negatives or enlargements. Stories should contain full name and organization of sender.

JANUARY  6,  1944    

Adapted from the original issue of C.B.I. Roundup

Copyright © 2015 Carl Warren Weidenburner