VOL.  I          NO.  18                                  DELHI,  THURSDAY                                    JANUARY  14,  1943.


Ann Sheridan, who gained fame in the movies as the "oomph girl," is shown in a scene from her new picture. The name of the picture doesn't matter.
  Washington - Award of the Purple Heart Medal to Col. John R. Francis, infantry officer largely responsible for creation of the air ferry service across the Himalayas to China, was made by Lt. Gen. Lesley J. McNair, commanding general of the Army Ground Forces, Wednesday, 2 December. The presentation was made in General McNair's office at the Army War College, A.G.F. Headquarters. Colonel Francis is now attached to the Ground Plans Section at Headquarters.
  Colonel Francis served as executive officer of the India-China Ferrying Command. His services included surveying for cargo plane bases in Assam and China. later he supervised operation of the established service, main United Nations supply link with Chungking after the Japanese cut the Burma Road last spring.
  The citation accompanying the award read as follows: "Colonel John R. Francis, Infantry, for his outstanding performance of duty in the establishment of the Air Ferry Service across India and into China. His original survey for bases in Assam and China; his far-sighted planning and his organizational efforts had contributed largely to the success of the Ferry Service. His supervision of the operation of the Ferrying Command as executive officer over a period of many months was largely responsible for the development and successful operation of the service. His experience, conscientious endeavor and devotion to duty is so outstanding that he proved to be of invaluable aid in an assignment normally held by an Air Corps officer."
  Guests present at the presentation ceremony included General Malin Craig, for Army Chief of Staff; Maj. Gen. James H. Burns; Maj. Gen. William D. Styer, Chiefs of Sections of the Ground General and Special Staffs at the A.G.F. Headquarters; Mrs. Floyd L. Parks, wife of Brigadier General parks, Miss Amy Holland and Walter McCallum.

 Operations Up
 50 Percent

  The Tenth Air Force accomplished 45 offensive operations over Japanese-occupied territory during December - a 50 percent increase over any other month - Brig. Gen. Clayton Bissell told his press conference this week.
  The India Air Task Force effected 25 of these raids; the China Air Task Force conducted 20.
  Referring to Japanese air operations over China, Bissell mentioned deterioration in the quality of Japanese planes as well as pilots, and disclosed that some of the machines used were second-rate biplanes.
  The IATF lost two fighter planes in the month of operations, but both pilots were saved. The CATF lost three fighters; one pilot was lost. One crew member of a damaged medium bomber died of wounds.
  The Japanese made seven attacks on our bases in China during December, but four of these attacks were made when we had no planes at the bases.
  Enemy losses during the same period were 16 planes confirmed to have been destroyed. Another 10 were probably destroyed.
  Bissell announced that Capt. Edward Higgins, flying an aircraft on December 24, cut 20 minutes off his previous record by bringing his plane across from the United States to India in 66 hours and 5 minutes elapsed flying time.

The visit starts upon arrival at an airfield in China, where Sgts. Anthony Barreshea, Ray Weiss and S. T. Schwartz (from left to right) are seen repairing auxiliary stream-lined belly tanks.  Tanks like these enable fighter planes to accomplish longer missions than their ordinary gas tanks permit.
Out in the open, members of an armament section's field repair unit work on machine guns as other men check over fighter planes.  In foreground (from left to right) are Sgt. James Kelly, Sgt. Allen C. Eskridge, Corp. Joseph Reynoso, Sgt. Donald W. Dell, Sgt. Hugh L. Jenkins and Corp. Ralph L. Tennent.

The alert sounds and pursuit pilots of the China Air Task Force dash to their planes.  The shark-tooth designs were first used in China by the AVG.  Frank Cancellare, Acme Newspictures war photographer, took all the pictures in this section.
Pursuit pilots must be near their planes, ready at a moment's notice.  Basketball helps pass the time and provides exercise.
P-40's of the China Air Task Force fly in formation over enemy territory.  Planes of this type have been largely responsible for lop-sided score in our favor that the CATF has chalked up in combat with the Japs.

Pilots display the Chinese flag and personal message from Chiang Kai-shek, worn on the back of their jackets.  Left to right are: Lt. J. T. Clark, Lt. W. A. Smith, Lt. R. W. Lucia, Capt. C. L. Blair, Lt. J. M. Williams, Lt. R. E. Atkinson.
A Chinese makes adjustment on a P-40.  The Chinese have become proficient in helping to maintain our planes.
Here is the dispersal area of an airfield.   A Chinese soldier stands guard as Chinese mechanics work on a plane.  The planes are stored in the camouflaged sheds seen in the background.

American soldiers, escorted by admiring Chinese youngsters, see the sights of a city in China.  Left to right are: Sgt. Ivan O. Stanberry, Sgt. Charles M. Janes, Sgt. Robert Wrigglesworth, Sgt. Andrew Chemsak, Sgt. Lawson Hillman, Sgt. Claude J. Smith.
Men of the Headquarters Detachment in China chat informally with their Commander-in-Chief, General Stilwell.  The men (from left to right) are T/4 Frank Starr, Sgt. Jessie McCorkle, T/4 Barrow Welles, T/Sgt. William Janes, T/Sgt. James Lytle and T/4 Paul Gish.


  The Tenth Air Force again concentrated its attention this week exclusively on Burma and Japanese installations there.
  A formation of heavy bombers on January 4 attacked a ship of 15,000 tons moving up the Irrawaddy River towards Rangoon. Two direct hits and three near misses were observed. When last seen by our airmen, smoke was seen billowing from the vessel.
  On January 6, P-40's strafed small gasoline storage dumps at Mangs Hih, destroying several hundred drums. Anti-aircraft fire was light and ineffective and no interception was attempted.
  B-25's with a fighter escort on January 8 bombed and strafed Bhamo. All bombs struck the target area. Many warehouses were hit and large fires were started. The fighter planes strafed two barges in the Irrawaddy River.
  On January 8, fighters attacked objectives in northeastern Burma. Supply depots as Weshi, Alan, Chingkranghka and Nsopzup were bombed and strafed. Hits were reported on all targets and several small fires were started.
  A concentrated attack by heavy and medium bombers was made January 10, against the important Myitinge bridge near Mandalay. Direct hits were scored with large caliber bombs and observers reported a central span resting on the river bottom when the planes departed. This bridge, carrying all vehicular as well as rail traffic across the Irrawaddy, was vital to enemy movements in central Burma, and effectively cuts north and south communications.
  All planes and personnel returned safely from each of these operations.


Four lashing motors are straining them on
Down the strip till they're borne in the air
With loads of hell for old Nippon
To blast his island bare.
Nine lumbering monsters down the strip
Nine giants of grace overhead -
Three armored V's away to the East
To strike the enemy dead!
Fleet thru the sky at timing of dawn
On - for there's work to be done!
And they'll wing their way home at the end of this day
When they've settled the Rising Sun!

      - 1st Lt. Wm. M. Gilbert
Members of a pursuit squadron of the China Air Task Force pose for the cameraman at their base.  Maj. John Allison (front row, center) recently took over command of the squadron from Maj. Tex Hill.

Deer Shot;  Buzzards Got

  Hail to the mighty deer hunters Sgt. Thompson and Klein of the QM, and Sgt. S. O. Johnson of Hq personnel. Seems they shot a beautiful immense buck, on a recent "safari," but the boys made one mistake. They trotted off to a nearby tavern to celebrate their kill, and when they came back, the buzzards had left nothing but memories. At least, that's their story, and they have pictures to prove it.
  brought back memories of home when we saw three-day passes to Delhi being handed out to a few lucky boys. Tell us, how was civilization when you saw it last? We have almost forgotten what a paved road and two story buildings look like.
  These last few morning have made us think of movies of London fogs. Keeps the weather boys busy restraining with a heavy hand those intrepid pilots that would like to take off right into the middle of pea soup.
  Plans are moving along for our N.C.O. club under the direction of Capt. baker, special services officer. This will mean a lot of fun for everybody, so come out and give it some support. Our new band had its first tryout the other night at an officers' dance and is coming along swell.
  "Sahib" Corley has now become chief bosser-around of our coolie details, and is "dad-blaming" and "dang-nabbing" from one side of the field to the other.
  Has anybody glimpsed the magnificent "apartment" that Sgts. Klein and Thompson have arranged for themselves in the QM barracks? Very cozy, four-poster beds, clothes lockers, etc. There couldn't be connexion between that and the fact they're property clerk and first sergeant, respectively, of the QM platoon, could there now?
  Something must have slipped up above. We got some PX supplies in. Those shelves were beginning to look as bare as Mother Hubbard's cupboard.
  The hardest working men in the Depot, the operations boys, finally got some added help this week. Corporals Tate, Bohl and Pfc. Dieffenbacher had been putting in some mighty long hours lately.
  Our commanding officer, Lt. Col. des Islets, is now entitled to take the Lt. off from in front of his title.
  Our semi-yearly beer ration arrived, 14 cans this time. A few of the boys sold and re-sold their quota and made a tidy profit on the deal. But most of us preferred to drown our sorrows. Sometimes more than the sorrows got drowned.

American Army officers in Australia use an oxygen tank, salvaged from a destroyed Japanese bomber, to roast peanuts.

Putting the blinkers on a recalcitrant mule down at our Chinese-American training camp is Col. George W. Sliney, artillery commander.  The mule is all geared up for pack artillery.


  Two new additions to the theater staff came in this week from Washington.
  Flying from Miami in 5½ days were Col. F. K. Newcomer, Theater Engineer officer, and Col. William M. Wright, Jr., who takes over as Theater Public Relations officer.
  Newcomer will be stationed in New Delhi and Wright goes to Chungking.

William Phillips, President Roosevelt's Personal Representative arrives in New Delhi and is greeted by Brig. Gen. Clayton Bissell, Commanding General, Tenth Air Force.  Brig. Gen. Benjamin Ferris (left), Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S.A.F. C.B.I. and George Merrell (second from right), Secretary in Charge, American Mission, accompanied Phillips on the flight from West India.

  William Phillips, former U.S. Ambassador to Rome, arrived in India this week and is now in New Delhi in his capacity as Personal Representative of the President of the United States.
  Phillips, a member of the State Department for nearly 40 years, flew from London, where he was serving at the time his new appointment was announced.
  At a press conference shortly after his arrival, Phillips said:
  "I have come to India as the personal representative of the President of the United States and it is a high honor and privilege to represent our great President here in this capacity.
  "Never before have I visited this vast country, but my association of almost 40 years with the Department of State in Washington has given me an intense interest in India and her people.
  "I come to study and to learn as much as I can of the India of today - the India of the future which has such an important role to play in world affairs, and I shall report my findings to Washington."
  Phillips said that he has been given the task of co-ordinating the various American civilian activities in India and bringing them all to Delhi. He indicated that he would therefore tour the country and said: "I certainly want to see as much of India as I can."

Pvt. "Duke" Suedmeyer poised to take 'em off in a strip-tease act, part of a recent soldiers' show, at an Indian seaport base.  After five minutes of teasing, "her" only garment was a not too large replica of the C.B.I. shield.

Lieut. Jack (Stretch) Manch, 6 feet 7 inches tall, one of the tallest men in all of the U.S. Army Air Forces, towers above Corp. Charles Brande at an air base in India.  The little Corporal stands a fraction of an inch over five feet, and doesn't expect to grow any more as he is approaching his thirty-eighth birthday.  Manch is still a growing boy.

Strictly G.I.

  Dear Sir - We wish for the following story concerning 1st Lieut. John H. Yates, QMC, and his magnificent achievements be published in the CBI Roundup. Since bouquets are being passed out we feel that he deserves his share of the praises.
  Bouquets have been passed very freely in the Air Corps, but nothing is mentioned of the Quartermaster and it's functions. To keep them flying we must keep them rolling. For an example, consider the marvelous achievements of 1st Lieut. Yates and 25 men sent on DS on the 28th November, 1942. About the middle of the afternoon on the 28th of November, 1942, Lieut. Yates was notified that he and 25 men were to be sent on DS. There was much to be done between the hours of his notification and 8:00 p.m., his departing hour. After going 11 days with very little food we arrived at our destination to find only a barren place without preparation for our arrival. The Lieut. then had to get busy and make some preparations for his men to live. Before our departure he was instructed that cooks would not be necessary but on our arrival he found that if his men ate he had to provide cooks, this brought on more responsibilities. Pfc. Taylor and Pvt. Gibson gladly accepted K.P. which completed our eating problems.

  For an Organization to function properly it must have office personnel. This fell on the shoulders of S/Sgt. Ball and T/Corp. Kincheloe. The office personnel had practically nothing to work with but, through the efforts and ability of 1st Lieut. Yates, the office was going very nicely in a very few days. After establishing the office personnel and kitchen detail he was informed that we were to operate a Motor Pool. Knowing very little the Quartermaster and its functions, especially transportation, Lieut. Yates gladly accepted the responsibilities. We were much surprised because of the fact we were surprised to do another job. Being very short of men we wondered how this was to be done. To operate we had to have drivers, mechanics, grease monkeys and dispatchers, all of this out of 20 men and two of them could not drive. Lieut. Yates then taken the men into a conference and related to them just what was to be done, leaving out the words "Can't be done." Although most of the men were new in transportation they gladly accepted the jobs of two men instead of one.

  With Lieut. Yates patience and great ability in leadership and the fullest co-operation of the men, the Motor Pool is properly functioning. By working all day and half of the night we were able to set up a gas station, grease rack and dispatchers office and are now serving the entire A.S.C. with transportation and fuel. With what Lieut. Yates had to work with and the achievements he has made we think that he should be mentioned in the line of praises and renowned as the man of the hour. So in the future let us mention the Quartermaster as well as the Air Corps in the line of praises because "To Keep Them Flying We Must Keep Them Rolling." Would appreciate it very much if the Captain would use this as the title of the story. "Where Praise is Due or the Man of the Hour."
  Thanking you in advance, S/Sgt. Thomas Ball and Corp. Hubert Kincheloe.

The C.B.I. Roundup is a weekly newspaper published by and for the men of the United States Army Forces in China, Burma, and India, from news and pictures supplied by staff members, soldier correspondents, Office of War Information and other sources. The Roundup is published Thursday of each week and is printed by The Statesman in New Delhi, India. Editorial matter should be sent directly to Major Fred Eldridge, Rear Echelon Hq., U.S.A.F. C.B.I., New Delhi, and should arrive not later than Monday in order to make that week's issue. Pictures must arrive by Sunday and must be negatives or enlargements. Stories should contain full name and organization of sender.

JANUARY  14,  1943  

Adapted from the original issue of CBI Roundup

Better quality image of the photo of Ann Sheridan used in this re-creation.

Copyright © 2009 Carl Warren Weidenburner