IBT Roundup
Vol. III  No. 46.                Delhi, Thursday,   July 19, 1945.                Reg. No. L5015
Lina Romay, former singer for Xavier Cugat's band, is obtaining a divorce from Seaman Jack Adams.  They were married in 1943, and separated May 19, 1945.
Chennault Quits China Command
 Roundup Staff Article
  Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault, head of the 14th USAAF and founder of the famous American Volunteer Group, this week had his resignation accepted by China Theater Commander Lt. Gen. A. C. Wedemeyer, and at the same time a War Department spokesman stated Washington had no detailed knowledge as to the reason for his resignation or his retirement from the Army.
  Although Chennault's resignation was announced two days after the appointment of Lt. Gen. George E. Stratemeyer as head of the augmented USAAF in China, no mention was made in the Wedemeyer acceptance of any retirement. It had previously been stated Chennault would retain his 14th Air Force command.
  The War Department said it would "regret the loss of the service of this officer who has played so
New appointment of Lt. Gen. George E. Stratemeyer as commanding general of the USAAF in the China Theater was announced this week by Lt. Gen. A. C. Wedemeyer.  Stratemeyer's last appointment was as head of the USAAF in the India-Burma Theater and Commanding General of Eastern Air Command.
important a role in bringing about the ultimate defeat of Japan." There was no further explanation of an earlier War Department statement that" "It is well known that Gen. Chennault has been operating under the most difficult of circumstances."

  The War Department further added: "In recent months much Air Force personnel and material have been moved from India into China, with a cutting down of our Air Forces in India-Burma Theater and resultant increase of our Air Forces in China."
  Army News Service stated that Chennault had expressed the hope he would return home as soon as the transition of command of the 14th Air Force could be made to Stratemeyer's new organization. This was the only indication as to his future plans.
  In a statement issued from Kunming, Chennault attacked "Irresponsible persons" at home whom he said had caused him great personal shock by their criticism of the armies and Government of China."

  "I think it is about time Americans ceased to be so concerned by the mote in our neighbors' eye," he said. "I think it's time to remember we owe China an immense debt."
  Chennault, voicing praise for China's armies and Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, also lauded Wedemeyer for a "great job" and prophesized that the team would attain their objective, that of pushing the Japanese from Chinese soil.
  Chennault had patterned a colorful, storybook career in the Orient. He organized the AVG, famous as the Flying Tigers, who held the skies of China alone against the Japs before Pearl Harbor. The AVG were American volunteers and under the command of Chennault evolved and perfected tactics and formations that made Oriental skies a dangerous playground for the numerically stronger Japs.
  After the entry of the U.S. into the war the AVG was dissolved and Chennault took over command of the 14th USAAF, operating from China bases. His 14th on many occasions stood almost alone against both air and ground forces and so deadly was their menace that they were popularly known as the "flying artillery."
  Stratemeyer issued a statement from his India-Burma Headquarters on the resignation of Chennault. The new China USAAF chief stated:
  "The Army Air Forces is losing an outstanding officer as a result of Maj. Gen. C. L. Chennault's decision to retire. Operating under almost inconceivable difficulties, he has led his fighting 14th Air Force to great victories. His aircraft has ranged the length and breadth of China, making every gallon of gasoline, every bomb and every bullet count. They have given magnificent cooperation to the ground forces of our Chinese allies, and inflicted untold damage to Japanese shipping and communication routes. Gen. Chennault's splendid example will always be a shining inspiration to us as we tackle the tremendous job which lies ahead."


  All mail dispatched from the U.S. for the India-Burma Theater is being routed directly from New York, which should mean most letters should arrive in sequence, stated Theater Postal Officer Maj. A. E. Adamson this week.
  He explained that hitherto the mail had been sent through both Miami and New York. Since ordinarily it took longer over the Miami route, it was nothing unusual to have a letter mailed early in the week through Miami arrive after another letter mailed later the same week through New York.
  This should also speed up the mail delivery here, since the longer Miami route is eliminated. Adamson based this information on a letter received from the Army Post Office in Miami.


  Army News Service stated this week that the critical score is expected to be announced within two weeks.
  it will be based only on points earned up to may 12, but the War Department stated credits will probably be compiled later this year to include those earned after May 12.


  RANGOON, BURMA - Among booby-traps left behind by the Japs in Burma were long cigarettes which exploded when half-smoked, writes an Indian Army observer.
  But they did not warn all their troops, and the Burmese tell one story of how a Japanese soldier picked up one of the cigarettes and smoked it.
  He lost face.
Burma Air Task Force Created Under 10th

  HQ., NORTH BURMA AIR TASK FORCE - With the rapid deterioration of Japanese forces, both air and ground in Burma, the all-out air war was fashioned by the 10th Air Force for the past three years has been reduced considerably.
  However, although the Japs have been cleared out of the west, south and parts of North Burma, there are enemy troops remaining in the land of the pagodas.
  To provide effective air power needed in North Burma, there has been created under the 10th Air Force the North Burma Air Task Force.

  Commanded by Brig. gen. A. H. Gilkeson, Tampa, Fla., one of the foremost exponents of fighter tactics in the Southeast Asia Command, the Task Force has, since its inception, hit the Nips hard and often. Not content with utilizing both P-47's and P-38's against the enemy, Gilkeson has been using even B-25's in air strikes coordinated with land moves.
  One of the most effective Task Force strikes to date was an attack by P-47's against a big enemy ammunition dump at Heho. Reportedly one of the biggest Nip ammo concentrations remaining in Burma, the Heho dump was attacked by three Thunderbolts. Later reconnaissance of the area revealed that all of the ammunition stored at Heho had been destroyed by direct hits.
  However, the activities of the Task Force are not restricted to offensive missions. In addition to hitting the Jap wherever he can be found, units of Gilkeson's command are also responsible for the important route to China.

  This route, won by Allied ground forces fighting in coordination with the planes of the 10th Air Force, is now protected by the P-47's and P-38's of the North Burma Air Task Force. Also on the program of daily business in North Burma is the constant air supply of the Allied troops all the way from Shingbwiyang to Lashio.
  C-47's and C-46's still carry huge loads of supplies to the chain of big air bases which dot the Burma landscape and still make aerial drops to the outlying posts of the Task Force's air warning stations and weather stations.
  Although the Japs in Burma are not offering as much opposition as previously, there is still a war on amidst the jungles and streams of Burma. Tiny L-5 planes still hedge hop the mountains on errands of military necessity and the mercy chain of hospital planes still functions with complete efficiency.
  Behind this streamlined aerial coverage in Burma is a team of Air Force experts who have seen the war in Burma change from a defensive fight to an all-out offensive. Number two man in the Task Force is Col. Sidney D. Grubbs, of San Antonio, Tex., regular army officer who has a long record in the India-Burma Theater.
  Author of the famed "Grubworm Operations" which saw the aerial transfer of a complete army, the Chinese 6th from Burma to China. Grubbs was commanding the 80th Fighter Group when called up to serve as chief of staff to Gilkeson.

‘Frozen’ Men Going Home
 Roundup Staff Article
  Men qualified under Theater Rotation and under the provisions of Theater Circular 40 of the Redeployment Plan have been querying the Roundup as to why they are still here and not back in the States or enroute there.
  Although we've lumped both classes together in the first paragraph they come under two categories:
  (1) Those eligible for rotation whose replacements have arrived in their units.
  (2) Those included in the five percent of each unit eligible to return for discharge screening under Circular 40.
  According to reports, the complainants have been told they are "frozen" in their units.
  This "freeze" is only caused by one thing, lack of transportation. And we emphasize that this so-called "freeze" is only temporary. Air transport and shipping allotted to this Theater can only return a certain amount of personnel a month. The sudden impact of returnees after V-E Day swamped the transportation facilities.
  Men were moving into the Replacement Depots faster than they could be moved out. For the convenience of the troops and to prevent over-crowding, men were temporarily "frozen" in their units until assurance was received that shipping would be available to get them back to the States after a limited stay at their port of embarkation.
  This "freeze" has allowed transportation to catch up with the demand. Orders and releases are now being cut to move most of the "frozen" troops to the depots. Theater Headquarters states they will shortly be on their way home. Obviously security forbids any departure date being publicized, but you have not been forgotten and will soon be on your way.
  The 85 or above point men remaining in this Theater after personnel have been cleared under Circular 40 come under the War Department Redeployment Plan.
  it must be pointed out that men selected under this plan will be eligible to leave (1) when their replacement is physically present and (2) when the Theater gives them the "green light" and can arrange transportation.
  There are some replacement already present and others enroute to this Theater. But these replacements must be used to build up the units that were depleted of their strength under the provisions of Circular 40. When these units have refilled their T/O's, replacements will then be used to take over the jobs of the 85 or above point men selected to go home under Redeployment.

Era Of Sturdy 6x6 Truck Convoy Passes Into Ledo Road History
 By SGT. JOHN McDOWELL  Roundup Staff Writer

  Passing of an era for Ledo Road convoy traffic has been revealed by Col. E. T. Telford, deputy commander of Motor Transport Service who declared in an interview with the Roundup this week that within the next month all 6x6 trucks will be taken off Burma convoy duty.
  The squat, powerful 2½-ton cargo trucks, which played a vital role in the construction of the Ledo Road and the prosecution of the North Burma campaign, are being replaced by fleets of 4x4 and 4x2 tractor-trailers of eight to 10-ton capacity.
  Since march of this year, use of the 6x6's has been limited to the 100-mile stretch of steep, winding road through the Patkai Mountains between Ledo, Assam, and Shingbwiyang, Burma.

  At Shingbwiyang, the 6x6's were unloaded at a huge transfer sheds yard and the cargo reloaded onto 4x4 tractor-trailers for the long haul through the Hukawng and Mogaung Valleys to Myitkyina, Bhamo and Lashio. Cargo from two 6x6's was accommodated on one tractor-trailer and the 6x6's returned to Assam empty for new loads.
  Under the new convoy plan, the 4x4 tractor-trailers will be put on the mountainous Ledo-Shingbwiyang run. At the Shingbwiyang transfer yards, the 4x4 tractors will be unhooked from the loaded trailers and replaced by less powerful 4x2 tractors for the comparatively level haul on south into Burma. The 4x4's will then return to Assam with empty trailers.
  In the future, Telford indicated, use of 6x6's will be limited to service on bases in Assam and Burma. China-consigned convoys, however, will still consist mainly of 6x6's.

  In effect, the new convoy system will result in better working conditions for the drivers. In the past, convoying has been a grueling, 16 to 18-hour per day grind for men of the Quartermaster trucking units. On long hauls into Burma, men would be on The Road for four and five days straight, catching short interludes of sleep in the cabs of their trucks.
  An attempt was made in January, 1944, to alleviate the long hours put in by convoy drivers. At that time the Ledo Road had just reached the Hukawng Valley and the round-trip haul over the rough, new road between Ledo and Shingbwiyang sometimes took as long as three and four days. Stations were set up along this stretch of road at Loglai, Tagap and Shingbwiyang and fresh drivers were put on the trucks at each of these stops.
  However, with no one driver directly responsible for the maintenance of his truck, more and more convoy rolling stock was deadlined for repair, and finally the plan had to be abandoned.

  The tractor-trailer convoy setup being instituted by Motor Transport Service follows, in some respects, this discarded system. Drivers will work in relays - from Ledo to Shingbwiyang, from Shingbwiyang to Myitkyina, from Myitkyina to Bhamo. However, at each of these relay stations both the drivers and tractors will be changed, thus keeping the drivers directly responsible for the maintenance of their tractors. The result will be an 8 to 10-hour working day for the Quartermaster truckers instead of their former day-and-night hauls.
  But, just as the passing of the horse and buggy marked the end of the "golden era" our grandparents knew, the exit of the lumbering 6x6 write finis to the "good old days" in India and Burma.
  Burma convoy traffic has had a colorful history from the days back in 1943 when bulldozers had to pull the big trucks through boggy sections of the new trace to get supplies to men working on the point of The Road, until today when convoys haul as much as 1,200 tons of supplies per day into Burma.
  The early days of convoying, the old-timers of The Road will tell you, may have been filled with long hours and hard work, but they never lacked excitement.
  Today, The Road through the Patkais is a rough military highway, with plenty of ruts and hairpin curves and steep grades. It's tough driving. But there was a day when The Road was a narrow trace, with tons of earth towering sheer on one side and deep gorges on the other. Wheeling 6x6's over that road day after day was one of the toughest jobs ever handled by G.I.'s in this theater.

  And, when the drivers eased their trucks down Shinglo Hill into the Hukawng, with the dangers of earthslides, falling trees, slippery mountain roads and sharp, narrow curves behind them, they were handed a new set of headaches. For the Japs still infested the Kukawng in those days, and enemy patrols were active in the jungle, all the land mines hadn't been cleared from the combat trace and Jap Oscars patrolled the skies of North Burma, bombing and strafing.
  Stories of those days of cowboying 6x6's into Burma, with a rifle in the cab of every truck are legend. Incidents like the "lost convoy" which missed the turn-off on the combat trace near Maingkwan and passed behind the Jap lines were it was luckily redirected to friendly territory by a Chinese patrol are still recalled by the old-timers.
  And, without much encouragement, they'll tell you of the monsoon on the combat trace when it took one convoy of trucks a month to travel the 40-mile stretch of road between Taipha Ga and Tingkawk Sakan.

  Two bulldozers were required to pull each 6x6 on that convoy, and time after time the dozers themselves stalled in the soggy marshland. Or perhaps they'll recall the convoy that reached Maingkwan while fighting still raged on the edge of that Kachin village, only to discover they were in time to sit in on a USO show starring Paulette Goddard.
  As The Road was pushed on south into Burma with the resultant longer supply haul the job of the QM drivers - the biggest percentage of whom were Negro troops - increased. They hauled pipe for the pipeline, bridges for the Engineers to throw across Burma's myriad rivers, supplies and ammunition.
  There were special jobs, too. Eight 115-ton steel barges were hauled from Ledo to Myitkyina for use in the bridging of the Irrawaddy. Prefabricated steel hangars were hauled to airfields in Burma.
  But the biggest job in the history of Burma convoying was the delivery of two 24-ton diesel locomotives from Dibrugarh in Assam to Mogaung, Burma.

  The locomotives, which were sorely needed to bolster the railway corridor supply line to the British armies advancing on Mandalay, were delivered to the railyards in Mogaung on Christmas Day, 1944, just 10 days after they had been loaded on six-ton trailers (20-ton capacity) in Dibrugarh.
  Once during the 10-day haul the locomotives almost met with disaster. Rounding a narrow curve on Pangsau Pass, the heavy load broke down the shoulder of The Road and one of the trailers slid part way down a steep incline. A "stiff-leg" was rushed to the spot and, after 36 hours' labor, Engineers fished the heavy load back onto The Road.
  Even convoy discipline - which once was practically non-existent on the Ledo Road - is now being maintained. Recently, Lt. Howell D. Jones, convoy commander of a Negro trucking outfit, led a 45-truck convoy from Ledo to Lashio and back without losing a single truck by accident or breakdown.
  Yes, efficiency has come to the Ledo Road convoys. Gone are the 6x6's and the wild free days of cowboying. Gone are the combat traces and the Jap patrols. Gone are the "good old days."

Here's where the convoys from India-Burma end with delivery of vehicles to China Theater.  The convoy driver is shown turning over his vehicle and check slip to the China Theater recorder.  In Kunming, after the 1,079-mile drive over the Stilwell Road, the vehicles are run over a combination inspection-servicing ramp.  There is a similar ramp in Calcutta, both set up by Maj. John C. Williams of the Transportation Service.  Here in Kunming a permanent staff of Chinese mechanics work at the five stations that make up the ramp.  Sign reads: Vehicle Acceptance Station - China Theater - Dismount! - No vehicle will proceed beyond this point

Ordnance Performing Vital Work
For Stilwell Road Transportation

  ALONG THE STILWELL ROAD - Eighteen months ago the life expectancy of vehicles operating along the Ledo Road was a bare 4,000 miles. Today it is 20,000.
  Part of this mileage increase is due to lessening of demands with completion of The Road, and The Road's generally improved condition, but the biggest factor has been the work of Ordnance companies charged with keeping transportation in running order.
  Working much as Stateside civilian manufacturers, these companies have made a vast contribution to the war effort. For months, Engineers along The Road have been able to see the direct results of Ordnance companies efforts, but could not realize the indirect extent of their endeavor.
  The Army dollar has been stretched by millions by their maintenance work along The Road, and a massive amount of valuable shipping tonnage has been saved to this Eastern terminal of the world's longest supply line.

  The early history of these ordnance companies is much the same as that of all those which arrived in Ledo, Assam, when the Ledo Road was in the pioneering stage . . . no equipment . . . no tools . . . nothing but an unbelievable amount of work which must be done immediately.
  Today, working in their modern shops, Ordnance mechanics are capable of rebuilding anything which runs, and have been called upon to manufacture everything from wheels for jeep trains to artificial limbs for war casualties.
  In one Ordnance company alone, each month 3,500 vehicles receive third and fourth echelon repair, and an average of 275 truck and jeep motors are rebuilt, and 900 heavy units, such as transmissions, transfer cases and axles, are completely reconditioned.

  Not only is a vast saving effected by this rebuilding program, but reclamation work accounts for even more. many motors are surveyed and determined to be good enough for rebuilding. Not being able to handle all of the work, hundreds of motors are sent to companies in rear areas which have greater personnel.
  To handle this huge amount of work, the most modern machines available are in use by mechanics and machinists who would be drawing fabulous salaries in American defense plants.
  "We have men in this company whose skills commanded top salaries in civilian life," Said Capt. Richard N. Rallason, CO of an Ordnance Heavy Automotive Maintenance Company. "Many of them stepped into uniform to do the same job for the Army which they had been doing for years. From their experience they were able to train other men in the company until today we have a group of experts who know more about trucks and motors than you'll find printed in the book."

  To assist in the work, 175 Indian contract laborers have been trained as mechanics and mechanics' helpers, working in all of the shops, sometimes without supervision.
  "We find the Indians have a great deal of mechanical aptitude," said S/Sgt. Joseph P. Chulick, Lloydell, Pa., who helped to train most of them. "By using them on less technical jobs we have been able to increase our total output considerably."
  When trucks come into an Ordnance yard, they are inspected to determine the extent of necessary repair. Some are in such bad condition that it is cheaper to salvage them, issuing new trucks in their place.
  From this point on, assembly line methods are used. The truck which is beyond repair is relegated to the "graveyard," later to be put through a dismantling plant. Here it is stripped of valuable accessories and parts which are classified and placed in bins for reissue when needed.
  "We can furnish anything from a starter switch to a generator," said Cpl. Clarence C. Kilgore, Ft. Valley, Ga., pointing to his well-stocked part shelves. "All of the parts are used, but have been put in perfect working order here in our shops. I've got the biggest auto parts business along the Stilwell Road, and it costs the Army practically nothing."

  When a truck is to be repaired, it is put on an assembly line where it receives a complete rebuilding at the hands of skilled mechanics. Rebuilt motors, transmissions and transfer cases are major installations, but everything from springs to electrical system is checked, and replaced if need be. When a truck comes off the assembly line, it is ready for a trip to China, or thousands of more miles use along The Road.
  One of the biggest problems confronting Ordnance companies has been the reconditioning of crankshafts. At first no special tools were available to grind them to perfection, but the men soon devised a satisfactory machine. For months a grinding attachment rigged to an engine lathe did the work of an expensive machine.
  The new crankshaft grinding machine received by his company is the pride of Cpl. Wilber R. Phillips, Cleveland, Ohio, operator. "Now we can perfectly grind 10 shafts each day," he said. "When I grind 10 of these, I've saved the government $700. We like to think of our savings in terms of dollars. It gives us a better idea of what we are doing."

  prompt, economical service might well be the motto of the Ordnance men. Sometimes they have to do a lot of improvising to live up to the slogan. In the battery department the capacity was not nearly great enough, so again they improvised.
  "By hooking this jeep motor to those two 1½ ton generators we have been able to quadruple our output," said Sgt. Homer Jones, Topeka, Kans., NCO in charge of the battery section. "We rebuild these, too, which conserves the supply of new ones."
  All day there is a din of activity around the Ordnance shops. Bearings, inserts, and bolts are constantly being mass-produced against future needs. In blacksmith shops radiators are reconditioned, and springs are repaired while huge stamping machines beat time for the work.
  Even truck bodies are straightened, braced and painted. Woodwork is rebuilt, and tarpaulins are made by skilled Indian canvas workers. They not only make the trucks run, they make 'em look pretty.

  Anytime a company wants a special tool or something built which is not available through regular supply channels, Ordnance companies are expected to be able to do the job rapidly. When lack of a special bolt threatened to delay construction of a bridge along the Ledo Road, specifications were given an Ordnance company, which supplied it within 24 hours.
  Surgical tools are not sent back to the States to be sharpened. Ordnance companies do that. They have made hundreds of braces and artificial limbs to doctor's prescriptions.
  When mule pack ammunition carriers were needed by the Mars Task Force fighting in North Burma, Ordnance companies were called on to do the job, and were soon turning them out by the hundreds.

  Experts from Ordnance companies have accompanied combat troops everywhere in North Burma caring for their small arms. Thousands of Japanese weapons and pieces of field equipment have been completely reconditioned for issue to Chinese forces.
  No record has been kept of the extra curricula manufacturing activities of Ordnance companies, but thousands of Engineers along the Ledo Road and men from every other type of unit have remarkable stories to tell of the ingenuity of these seldom praised wizards.
  With opening of the land supply route to China it was thought that demands on the Ordnance companies would be lessened, but that is not the case. Now that equipment is on the move over The Road, it must be kept rolling, and that is the main Ordnance duty.
  Contact teams are sent with China convoys, and when a driver encounters serious trouble, he doesn't look for the Chaplain; he tells it to Ordnance.

Roundup Staff Writer
  Tiger Rag, Pfc. Arthur Goldberg's classy tabloid for APO 492, recently queried a number of G.I. readers on "What's the most pleasant thing that's happened to you since coming overseas?" Replied Pfc. Tom C. Martinez, of a QM Truck unit: "Getting my 20th month overseas finished. I understand that after the 20 mark is passed, the other four come pretty easy." Tom, old boy, haven't you heard?
  S/Sgt. Richard P. Strickhauser, L-5 pilot with the 2nd Air Commando Group, was recently forced down in Jap-infested jungle east of Myebon Peninsula while evacuating a wounded West African soldier. Unable to take off again, Strickhauser took the alternative: walk. He unloaded his litter patient, took the wheels off his plane, made an axle of bamboo, built a cart out of the stretcher, and started walking, dragging his evacuee behind him. Eventually, he was met by a British rescue patrol. The patient received treatment, Strickhauser, a cup of tea.
Quite A Record
  Another L-5 evacuator who boats a commendable record is T/Sgt. A. J. Cooles, member of the First Air Commandos. In 375 hours of combat flying, Cooles has evacuated a total of 500 casualties from Burma battle areas to the safety of hospitals, at the same time carrying more than a ton of supplies to forward British 14th Army troops.
  Sgt. John Robert McDowell, Roundup's Family Reunion editor, now beating the weeds in search of lost relatives, reports the recent meeting of Lt. Henry R. Nusbaum and brother Sgt. Leon J. Nusbaum, two Brooklyn warriors. It had been nearly four years since the bothers had last pressed palms when Henry, Motor Transport Service officer at Ledo, made a convoy trip over The Road to visit Leon, an aerial photographer with the 14th Air Force. Henry says his brother wasn't expecting him, but the visit didn't surprise him in the least. "After all," say Hank, "us Flatbushers expect the unusual."
  Like everything else in India, hotel service is just a wee bit different from Stateside, as witness the recent experience of T/Sgt. Donald Ahlf, and Engineer-wallah in Delhi. Vacationing in the Murree hills, Ahlf stopped overnight at one of the local hotels. Shortly after checking out the next morning, Ahlf discovered he had left his camera in the room, made a hurried retreat to the desk clerk. The clerk admitted he had the camera, but, unfortunately for Sahib Ahlf, hotel rules provided that anything left in a room by a guest became the property of the management. After a little "convincing," Yankee style, hotel rules were amended and Ahlf regained his camera.

S/Sgt. Charles Salerno, who spent 16 months in the CBI Theater, receives the DFC from Maj. Gen. Frederick H. Osborn, Director, Information and Education Division, U.S. Army.  Salerno had more than 300 hours of operational flight as a radio operator.

PX Will Unration Hyde Park Beer
  Thirsty G.I.'s will be able to obtain ration-free all the Hyde Park beer they want from the PX shortly. The price per case will be reduced from Rs. 7-8 to Rs. 4.
  Spot checks of Hyde Park beer by the Exchange Service recently indicated that a number of the bottles had become "flat," about 14 out of 24 bottles being in good shape. The Chief of the Army Exchange Service felt that G.I.'s as well as officers, might still want to buy the beer since a good percentage is in first-class condition, but that they would not want to sacrifice their ration on beer that was not 100% okay.
  No representation is made as to the percentage of bottles that may be flat as it is impossible to determine that exactly.
  The PX will not willingly sell anything that is not believed to be in first-class shape, but it is willing to sell this beer provided everyone fully understands the circumstances.
  Army medical analysis and tests have proved that Hyde Park beer is okay except for the "flat" cans, which are not palatable.
  The first quantities of this beer will go on sale shortly and it will be "first come, first served." You will be buying this beer as is - without any adjustments.

Proud Father ‘Palms’ Infants
  LEDO, ASSAM - Some weeks ago the Roundup published a picture of one Cpl. Tony De Rovy, member of
S/Sgt. George W. Sayers and daughter Sandra Kay do their balancing act.
an airborne squadron in India, holding his eight-month-old daughter Sherry Lou in one hand.
  Trick of the picture, of course, was that the infant was standing quite unconcernedly in her father's outstretched hand.
  At the time, De Rovy wrote: "There are very few fellows who can boast an eight-month-old daughter who can stand up straight in the palm of her daddy's hand."
  But, as might be expected, a fellow IBT-er has met De Rovey's challenge and gone him one better.
  S/Sgt. George W. Sayers of the Finance Office at this headquarters now lays claim to the title of champion Father-Whose-Daughter-Stands-In-His-Hand of this Theater. Sayers has trained his two daughters to stand in the palm of his hand. One a time, of course.
  "And," he writes, "both of my daughters - Evonne Sue and Sandra Kay - could stand in my hand when they were five months old."

Officers Given USAFI Benefits
  Effective July 6, Army officers were made eligible for the full benefits of the U.S. Armed Forces Institute educational program, the CBI Branch of USAFI announced this week.
  All fees, instructions, and procedures presently in effect for enlisted men are now applicable to commissioned personnel.
  Two principal effects of this change is that a payment of the $2 fee for initial enrollment will allow the student continued USAFI services and will allow him to take college extension courses with the government paying half the enrollment fee up to a maximum of $20.
  Officers enrolled prior to July 6 will be considered to have paid the initial enrollment fee for USAFI courses. No refund of officer enrollment fees prior to July 6 will be made.

  A new beer deal has been worked out for I-B personnel going to rest camps, it was announced this week by Lt. Col. J. F. Mimnaugh, director of rest camps.
  Under the new deal, personnel will be allowed to buy their full ration at camp and in addition another half case. The full ration must be bought on the regular monthly ration and the other half case can be obtained under a special ration card issued by the camps.
  Formerly men were not allowed to buy a full case during their stay at camp and had to cart it along from their home stations.

Improper Care Ruining Radios
  A sharp increase in blown-out radio sets issued to Army personnel in the I-B Theater has been reported. Carelessness and improper adjustments of the RR-100 I & E sets have been the causes for too many tubes to be blown-out, according to an I & E radio directive.
  "Operators should have the settings straight before plugging in. Many times the radio has been plugged in with the dial set on D.C. Often the current has been set at 110 volts when the local voltage is 220.
  "A few minutes checking on the set before plugging in will save many parts," the directive added.

‘Angels’ Aid Flyers Lost In Jungles

  1352ND ATC BU, ASSAM - Men forced down in the wilds of Burma, India or China need not be surprised if, in the future, they see an "Angel from Heaven" parachuting to their aid.
  Six men of the Emergency Rescue Section at this base have been especially trained for just that purpose with the idea in mind that help from the outside in the form of men experienced in jungle travel and in giving medical assistance will greatly facilitate the return to civilization of men lost in the mountainous area of The Hump.
  Four men, Capt. Owen L. Sutherland of Los Angeles, Calif., S/Sgt. John H. Echelmeier pf Philadelphia, Pfc. William B. Wilson of Baltimore, Md., and Pvt. William B. Skinner of Augusta, Ga., comprising the first class in such training, have recently completed the 10-day course at a British Army parachute school in India, and are entitled to wear the colorful wings of British qualified parachutists.
  Capt. Austin E. Lamberts of Delavan, Wis., base flight surgeon, and his medical assistant, Pfc. Marvin C. Roberts of Mobile, Ala., veteran jumpers, complete the roster of "Heaven's Angels."
  The course at the school, which other members of the Rescue Squadron are volunteering to attend, consists of five days of ground training and seven actual jumps. A second class begins this month and succeeding classes on the first of each month thereafter.

Loaves of tasty bread "like mother used to make" are being turned out daily by the thousands in a U.S. Quartermaster bakery in Calcutta for troops in Base Section.  The huge brick ovens, heated by wood and charcoal and manned by both G.I.'s and Indian helpers, are capable of producing 540 one and a half pound loaves every hour and 15 minutes.  In the left photo, Pfc. Andy Metanchuk weighs the flour before it is kneaded into dough.  In the center, Cpl. Metro Fetsco exhibits an armload of the finished product.  And on the right, Fetsco pulls the well-done G.I. bread from one of the brick ovens.

  Dear Roundup: Generally very few people know what the "L" stands for on the wings of a liaison pilot. The ignorance is common among all members of the Armed Forces. Possibly this is one of the reasons why the liaison pilot feels he is a member of a forgotten squadron.
  Yet why should this be? The requirements for wearing those wings are equivalent to those of a commissioned pilot; He must pass the same 64 physical examination, his IQ must be above average, he must not only complete an extensive course in navigation, meteorology, radio, and similar subjects, but is also trained as an airplane mechanic. The liaison pilots rating called for maintaining the aircraft as well as piloting it.
  After graduating from flying school the liaison pilot received the rating of staff sergeant and from that moment on was forgotten; in many cases over two years has gone by with no promotion in rank.
  The liaison pilot flys an unarmed single-engine aircraft, usually the L-5 Stinson. He operates close behind the enemy lines and often flies over them evacuating casualties to rear bases and bringing supplies forward. His light plane has been brought down by ground fire and enemy aircraft but the efficiency of his service and value of his job has been attested to by many letters of commendation from such men as Lord Louis Mountbatten, Gen. Reis, Gen, Stafford, and the late Gen. Orde C. Wingate. Nearly all the "L" pilots having served overseas wear the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross, but rewards by promotion have become a joke.
  Being the only enlisted pilot in the Air Forces has worked peculiar hardships on these men. Clearances at some airports have been refused them, alert crew members of higher rank have refused to service their planes. These pilots have pulled extra duty such as K.P. in addition to flying and maintaining their aircraft, all because they lacked a commission.
  The Field Artillery "L" pilots who do artillery spotting are commissioned officers; we do the same as Staff Sergeants in the Air Corps.
  Several times "L" pilots have been broken to the rank of private for infractions of rules or refusal to fly, yet in the India-Burma Theater several "glider pilots" who discontinued flying were promoted in rank and given official positions over "L" pilots.
  While "L" pilots watch their commissioned personnel rise speedily and systematically in rank, they impatiently sweat out long months hoping for one stripe which seldom comes.
  To answer these problems, "L" pilots have had the offers of service pilot, flight officer, and commissions constantly presented to them, but all have turned out to be empty promises, either from insincere or misinformed officials.
  Why do these conditions exist and why must we remain a forgotten squadron? Is there any plan of promotion for the "L" pilot, or must he be satisfied with high sounding letters of commendation and medals that have only sentimental value?
    - S/Sgts. Elisworth H. Howard, W. J. Thompson, George R. Wharen, Jr., Thomas F. Flynn, John D. McNamee, Thomas Crosby, APO 690 (Ondal, India).

Lieutenant Shows Spirit Which Inspires
 Roundup Staff Article

  From Burma, Cpl. H. R. Donovan writes in this week asking us to reprint the letter penned by a wounded Infantry Lieutenant in Europe while lying in a hospital. Donovan says in part:
  "My father enclosed the letter. The lieutenant is Bob Hardart, who is the son of a business associate of my father. I believe it carries a message of courage that will be of interest to everyone in this Theater."
  Here is the letter, which Donovan suggested be printed under the title of "Guts."
  Dear Pop: Here we are again; things are coming along fine. It's slow work but I'm improving daily. Just had a long talk yesterday with my nurse, and she convinced me that I should tell you what I'm going to do. You will have to know it eventually, but I was going to put it off as long as possible.
  First of all, I want you to know that I'm really cheerful and looking forward to getting home and learning to live a kind of new and different life. Instead of being blue and discouraged, I am very happy and have plenty of faith in a happy future. Now I'll tell you what happened to me. So kind of brace yourself.
  My legs were pretty badly wounded, but in time will be as good as new. However, I lost my right arm just below the elbow. Right now I can't see, but with the facilities in the hospitals at home, the eye doctor here tells me there is a slight chance that they can make me see. However, I'm not really counting too much on that because I feel that I will remain this way.
  Well, Dad, that is the story. I hated to tell you, but I know you would have wanted to know. For gosh sakes, please don't feel sorry for me.
  If you could see me here in the hospital, and all the fun I'm having kidding the nurses and talking with all the swell visitors we have you would say: "There is nothing wrong with that guy, send him back to duty." I've still got a lot to live for, and that, plus my faith, will probably make me the happiest fellow in the town.

Dr. Ernest Hooten of Harvard believes women should be given training to eliminate "fatty deposits" that make for feminine curves.  Janis Paige of the movies is against the idea and shows why.

G.I.’s, Officers Get 42 Medals In I-B Awards
 Roundup Staff Article

  Seven Soldier's Medals for heroism and 35 Air Medals were awarded this week to I-B Army personnel.
  Pfc. Roger L. Taylor was presented the Soldier's Medal for heroism involving the recovery of the body of Pfc. Walter G. Nichols from the Brahmaputra River in Assam. Both men had been swimming in the river when Taylor, mindful of the treacherous current and with disregard for his personal safety, succeeded in locating the body and towed it ashore after repeated dives. Nichols was immediately given artificial respiration, but failed to respond.
  Six enlisted men of an E.P.D. Company: S/Sgt. James P. Casey, T/4 Jack L. Clemens, T/4 Harry T. Smith, T/5 Walter H. Austin, T/5 Robert J. McNally, and Pfc. Donald P. J. Spellman were also presented with the Soldier's Medal for heroism.
  A soldier and a Burmese laborer were buried under a cave-in of dirt in a 12-foot ditch while engaged in a pipeline construction project. More than four feet of loose dirt covered these men and only the porous nature of the soil saved them from being smothered.
  To rescue the imprisoned men required digging a 15-foot tunnel as direct digging would pack the loose soil and probably smother them. These six men volunteered to dig the tunnel at the risk of their own lives. After four hours, digging with canteen cups and helmets to prevent caving-in, the men were liberated.
  Air Medals were presented to 35 members of an Air Transport Squadron and an AAF Base Unit of June 16th by Lt. Col. Howard C. Stelling, who complimented them and their ground crews on the fine job they were doing.

War Souvenirs Need Inspection
 Roundup Staff Article

  As an indication of the danger of sending home combat souvenirs, we reprint in part the following item from the Little Rock, Ark., Gazette:
  "A mortar shell, sent home by Sgt. Tee Riggs, accidentally was discharged by his wife, Mrs. Thelma Riggs, who narrowly escaped serious injury and possible death.
  "The shell was detonated when it fell to the floor from an end table. Mrs. Riggs was struck by several particles, but suffered only a few deep flesh wounds."
  This clipping was sent to us by Maj. John C. Eppard of the Adjutant General's Department. Eppard says according to the locator files, Sgt. Riggs is assigned to the Chinese Training Command in Kunming. The major points out that this article clearly illustrates the danger of sending home souvenirs that have not been fully tested and examined.
  For the protection of Army personnel in this Theater, we recommend you get a copy of Theater Circular 70, covering the sending home of souvenirs.


Written Especially for Roundup
  In another 20 years.
  The above are an often repeated four words. When two or more G.I.'s get together in a bull session about the war and its outcome, the phrase, "Oh what the hell - they'll be fighting another one in 20 years," or "Aw, they'll always be wars," seem to pop into the discussion, ending the conversation with a morbid turn.
  When one asks such a person why he's of that opinion, his answer is usually one of two - either he just wanted to inject some aimless words into the views being expressed or else he actually believed a lasting peace sounded like a good title for an Abbott and Costello movie - to laugh at and forget.
  If a remark like that is made, the reply by several other fellow sides in with him because they don't want to speak up and intellectually slap that fellow down by explaining and arguing just how and why a world peace is probable if gone about in the right way.
  Instead they'll say, "Yeah, you're right," and let it go at that.
  There are soldiers who never stop to think that they belong to a great Union of 48 democratic states and that they have a heritage of freedom.
  There aren't many other countries where a man can claim the right to so much independence as he can in America. None of us must forget that this war id being fought to protect our way of life and to broaden its scope around the world. We, each of us, no matter how remote or strenuous our circumstances, must never lose the faith our forefathers placed in us - faith in our nation and in her leaders. This we must do to build an unwavering bulwark against future threat of aggression.
  There was a tendency to shrug off the Security Conference to San Francisco as a big meeting of confused politicians. Perhaps there is some disagreement among the nations. Did you ever stop to consider the dissension between the early American states when the question of a constitution was placed before that historical Congress?
  I'm sure any average citizen of those days was in despair for a while as to whether or not we could govern ourselves. The word politician has been misused and so maligned that many people think that just about everybody who runs for public office is a money-seeking, publicity-grabbing grafter.
  That has been true in some cases in the past and is true in some cases today. I, for one, do not blindly trust or respect all our office holders; but I do respect our democratic system and its statesmen who are sincere in constructing the peace, just as I respect our flag.
  The massive authority which will be needed to prevent such as that which is occurring today is rapidly taking shape with the cooperation of almost a half-hundred nations.
  Their statesmen must have the co-operation of the ordinary people who are now engaged in fighting the remaining battles. Our confidence is needed in the great program they are forming. If we are with them 100 percent, then our sons and the generations to come will be with them also.
  They, like their fathers, who fought and died, will be vigilant and guard the peace all of us have wanted but never actually experienced.
  We must look forward without pessimism or cynicism to those happy years which will only take place if in our minds we dismiss the impossibilities and replace them with possibilities.
  That way, "In another 20 years," we won't be marching to war again.
  I have that faith, have you?

STRICTLY G.I.                                                                                            By Ehret

Death Sentence For China G.I.’s Prompts Probe
 Roundup Staff Article

  Army courts martial hit the Congressional spotlight again this week as the United Press reported the War Department was starting a complete investigation of death sentences imposed on two enlisted men in the China Theater after allegedly causing the death of a 71-year-old Chinese woman while on a drunken spree.
  The War Department investigation announcement followed on the heels of disclosure by Sens. Brian McMahon (D.-Conn.) and Robert Taft (R.-O.) that they had intervened in the case following letters home from the two G.I.'s who hail from their respective states.

  In Washington, the soldiers were identified as Pvts. James F. Cooper, 30, Cincinnati, attached to the Headquarters Company of the Burma Road Engineers and John Brennan, 30, Hartford, Conn., of the Air Corps.
  Following the revelation of Congressional intervention, Maj. Gen. Henry S. Aurand, head of SOS in China Theater, two days later that he had recommended that the two death sentences be commuted to 20 years at hard labor, dishonorable discharge and forfeiture of all pay and allowances due or to become due during confinement.
  It was stated that Theater Commander, Lt. Gen. A. A. Wedemeyer had still to pass on the sentence and Aurand's recommendation. Two days later Wedemeyer commuted the sentences to life imprisonment and dishonorable discharge. The case must still be reviewed by the Judge Advocate General's review board.

  United Press reported that in a letter to his aunt, Brennan stated neither he nor Cooper had intended to kill anyone. He wrote, "We were both pretty drunk" and told how they had taken a water buffalo for a joy ride. They were chased by Chinese peasants and pulled off. Brennan wrote, "The old lady helped pull us off the buffalo and we fell on her."
  Brennan denied either he or Cooper had beaten the peasants, as charged. He declared the court martial "took their word in preference to ours" and cited testimony of the doctor that "the woman could have died of manslaughter or from natural causes." He didn't specify whether the doctor was American or Chinese. In letters to his wife, Cooper made similar denials.

In the event that you are skeptical about T/7 Osmosis Fink's article here is pictorial proof that the incredible assignment covered by our slap-happy reporter was the real McCoy.  Seated left to right around the table spearing steaks (see dictionary) are T/Sgt. Walter Rowland, T/5 Jack Mumrichhouse, T/5 Melvin Johnston, T/5 Paul Blackmore, Pfc. Raymond Massad, Pfc. Glenn Miller, T/5 Willie Mason and Pfc. Sam Reynolds.  Our man Fink is already under the table.

Fink Savors Of Steak
Along Stilwell Road

  ALONG THE STILWELL ROAD - "Fink, you're the epicure of this outfit. There never was a more carnivorous man than you. They are putting on a demonstration on how to prepare fresh meat at the enlisted men's mess at Headquarters. They are going to have samples of roast, steak, pot roast and such things as that there. Come back with a vivid word picture of what a steak looks like. Take a photographer. Get pictures of G.I.'s eating. You can do it, Fink. The men are counting upon you. Get in there and fight."
  Well, what can you say when the Old Man gives you such an assignment and such a lavish build-up? So old Os' grabbed a Signal Corps camera jockey who swore that he once, in the long ago, had a speaking acquaintance with fresh meat. Off we went, drooling the while.
  All was quiet when we entered the mess hall, if you can discount what G.I.'s here have the kindness to call cooks singing hill-billy songs as they prepared the wieners for supper. A nervous crowd fidgeted outside, waiting word to attend the lecture and, incidentally, savor of the samples promised by the invitation which read "you will attend."
  Contrary to all Army precedent, the lecturing officer was in the meat packing business before he swore to defend his country. We listened to him politely, glancing surreptitiously at the kitchen now and again. We made a mental note that he thought stew should never be served to troops. We figured that everyone agreed with that, so why make a fuss over it. Anyhow, like the weather, no one ever did anything about it.
  In the back room, we could see the cooks slicing the most beautiful piece of roast beef designed for the innards of man. In enthusiastic anticipation, some of the men ate their notes, upon which were inscribed such magic words as beef, stew, steak, roast. I couldn't help but wish that I had written "Heinz beefsteak sauce" somewhere on mine.
  Eventually the white-robed, paunchy cooks brought the prix fixe into the demonstration room. A few moments later, real roast beef, and stew, and pot roast - plates of it, like a gastronomic dream - were unveiled to enraptured eyes accustomed to Spam, C-Ration and that delight to end all delights, Vienna sausage.
  Table d' hote, dejeuner a la jourchette in Burma was never like this. Cess to rice and atta. Noses up at corned beef. To K-Rations an enthusiastic bzzzzruppp.
  It was just like a Swift's as in three colors in the Satevepost.
  The lecturer's words were lost in the frenzied scramble to get at the belly timber. A pudgy QM captain mistook old O's hand for a choice cut of rare beef, forking me vigorously. But I suffered in silence, hoping to get the Purple Heart later, but meanwhile, masticating and gulping the helpless, tender, beautiful, delectable morsels of Stateside beef.
  With considerable effort, the lecturer finally restored quiet by shouting:
  "Steaks will be served in an orderly fashion. Cooks, stand by to prepare fillet of beef steaks. Prepare steaks."
  I said definitely to the cook, "Make mine rare!"
  Wonders will never cease. he did. It was the first steak sandwich I'd had since we killed a water buffalo near Walabum.
  Seconds weren't bad, either.
  Mighty pleased with himself, the instructor regained the audience's attention. As the gnashing of teeth died to a gentle murmur, I heard him say:
  ". . . so, you see, gentlemen, regular issue Army meat can be made palatable."
  Unfortunately, he didn't say whence the fresh meat was to come.
  About this time, one of the cooks, a tobacco planter from Spittle, Ky., noticed the Roundup patch on my shoulder and came brown nosing.
  "Want a steak, sarge?" he asked with obvious flattery.
  "My name," he added, "is Kuffle. Spell it with a C, please."
  "Just a little 16-ounce one," I answered with a condescending air.
  "And make it rare."
  I don't know what they expect of a man. Imagine asking someone to cover a story like that. Who's interested, anyway? The ward boy is coming with the stomach pump.

The Roundup is a weekly newspaper of the United States Forces, published by and for the men in Burma and India, from news and pictures supplied by staff members, soldier correspondents, Army News Service and United Press.  The Roundup is published Thursday of each week and is printed by The Statesman in New Delhi and Calcutta, India.  Editorial matter should be sent directly to Capt. Floyd Walter, Hq., U.S.F., I.B.T., APO 885, New York, N.Y. and should arrive not later than Saturday in order to be included in that week's issue.  Pictures must arrive by Friday and must be negatives or enlargements.  Stories should contain full name and organization of sender.  Complaints about circulation should be sent directly to Lt. Drexel Nixon, Base Section, APO 465, New York, N.Y.  Units on the mailing list should make notification of any major change in personnel strength or any change of APO.

JULY  19,  1945  

Adapted from the original issue of India-Burma Theater Roundup shared by Linda James

Copyright © 2009 Carl Warren Weidenburner