VOL.  I          NO.  14                                  DELHI,  THURSDAY                                    DECEMBER  17,  1942.


On the left is three-star general Joseph W. (Uncle Joe) Stilwell.  On the right is "Uncle Moe Pilwell," better know as Sgt. Charles Johansen.  Uncle Joe got to New Delhi just too late to see "Uncle Moe" flash his five stars on the stage of the Regal Theater in "Roundup."


  Enemy installations at Rangoon, and Port Blair in the Andaman Islands were targets for heavy bomber squadrons of the Tenth Air Force on December 11.
  At Rangoon, according to the communiqué, 20 large-sized bombs were seen bursting among warehouses and a direct hit was reported on the dock. Fires were observed in the waterfront area.
  All planes and personnel returned undamaged.

  Decorations were handed out from the stage of the Regal Theater last week to various officers and men of the United States Army by "Uncle Moe Pilwell," the five-star general who appeared in the soldier show, "Roundup."
  According to "Uncle Moe," all recipients came up to be insulted except Major W. T. Brown. Major Brown, having failed to make an appearance, was "officially" reported "dead" by "the general."
  "I've suspected it for a long time," the general said.
  Sadly, Sgt. Rholie Bailey, adjutant, then presented a posthumous award to Brown that was taken by Lt. William G. McIllhiney. Bailey's remarks follow:
  "This night is indeed unusual. Tonight we compliment the Quartermaster Corps and the men who serve in it. Not enough credit is given to this very complicated branch of the service. The quartermaster section is in every theater of war and has never lost a battle nor a bottle.
  "Tonight we take off our brass knuckles and shake the hand (is rigor mortis as cold as all that?) of Major Brown; tonight we put down our bricks and throw bouquets at the quartermaster.
  "This award should be two-fold: (1) Covering the substitution of eye-patches for eye-shades and (2) "The Battle for Pants" during which Warrant Officer Grove demonstrated a stroke of literary genius. However, the award will be based on the battle for Pants. When you received the "Order of the Triple Cross" with "Bleeding Heart" clusters remember that we expect you to bear this cross like a little man the rest of your life. I. 'Uncle Moe Pilwell,' do hereby award the cross with the following bit of verse:
  "Oh Quartermaster, Oh Quartermaster, my legs are bare.
  To go on duty I hardly dare.
  I'm too embarrassed, or I'd come down there
  To scratch out your eyes and pull your hair -
  So, if you have trousers send me a pair."
  Any officers and men desiring to send floral pieces or other little tributes to Major Brown (posthumously) may do so in care of the editor!

  Ham was in abundance in New Delhi last week and corn was definitely off the cob!
  The United States Army trod the boards before two packed houses at the Regal Theater on Wednesday and Thursday nights in "Roundup," a production that the cast has never been able to adequately describe.
  Nobody who has seen it can describe it either!
  It was a cross between musical comedy and Minsky's with the edge to burlesque. All the old jokes and routines from American burlesque and vaudeville houses were brought out, dusted off and bounced over the footlights to a delighted audience that later staggered out talking to itself.

  It was sexy in spots, but only seven women got up and left during the show's two-night stand. That wasn't bad for India.
  Original songs were sung by original people, indignities were perpetrated on the persons of unsuspecting members of the audience, a 14-brick "woman" was found, one of the comedians accused a woman in the audience of wearing his wife's pants and proceeded to chase her screaming out the door.
  He came back with the pants and three women got up and left.
  The "comedy" was written and "acted" by Corp. Arny Schwartz (who insists he's from Fall River, Mass., but has all the earmarks of Brooklyn) and T/Sgt. Shy Greenspan. They carried most of the load.
  Sgt. Rholie Bailey, however, stepped in to hold up his end with imitations, presentation of decorations and a strip tease that beat anything Margie Hart ever did - Victory Garden G-String or not.
  What Bailey lacked in curves was replaced with a reasonable facsimile thereof.

  Throughout the second act Pvt. Jesse James sat objectionably on a corner of the stage and ate his lunch. At times he was insulting. Especially when Bailey did his strip tease.
  "Take it off," James shouted. "Take it all off."
  On the musical side of the show, Pvts. Valentin Almendarez and Nicholas Reyes got the biggest hand for their Mexican songs. Corp. Nicholas Minella went to town on his harmonica. Sgt. Bruno Nicknadarvich and Corp. Norman Epstein gave with the torch in a few tenor numbers, and Pvt. Jim Buckley and Sgt. Chester Shea took everybody back to the start of the last war with barbershop harmony on songs of the period.
  One of the top spots of the evening was the presentation of various decorations to bewildered officers by "Uncle Moe Pilwell," complete with campaign hat and five stars. "Uncle Moe" did himself proud and isn't a bad musician when posing as Sgt. Charles Johannsen. Beulah Cronin aided him by hanging lusty kisses on the lips of lucky,

Here's the other side of Veronica Lake's lovely face, not often seen in her movies, because of that semi-unrevealing hairdo.

lucky recipients, but she didn't forget her audience. She carried her phone number written on her back with lipstick.

  There were two good dance routines, one on roller skates. Pvt. Norman Plantier went through his act on the skates while Corp. Roy Grove did a tap dance that was well received.
  Pvt. Joseph Perille, an old-timer in the show business, pulled out all the stops in a monologue on the evils of drink. The crash of glasses being thrown away when he finished his number could have been heard for six or seven inches.
  Throughout the show a strange apparition would waltz down the aisle and walk indifferently across the stage. "She" was dressed in the traditional costume of the Indian laboring woman except "she" wore shoes, and "she" carried ever increasing loads of bricks on "her" head. It was Corp. Harold Biscow and it was generally agreed that what he may have lacked in curves was supplanted by his ability to carry bricks.
  The show was strictly an enlisted man's production. There was some spade work by officer and Red Cross "dog-faces" who acted as errand boys and girls, but all the heavy brain work came from the men.
  Dorothy Martin and Lois Nickerson, ARC, together with Capt. Donald S. Huber and Lt. John Kitzmiller lost a bit of sleep helping the boys over the rough spots. Costumes and sets were designed by Sgt. Jack H. Wright who doubled with a shoulder wriggle in the Conga line. Advertising posters were designed by T/3 Jack Nolan, staff artist for the CBI Roundup and program pictures were shot by S/Sgt. William F. Cox, CBI Roundup staff photographer.

CBI Roundup
Bill Passes

  President Roosevelt last week signed a bill exempting from import duty all bonafide gifts valued at not over $50 shipped by members of the armed forces abroad to friends and relatives at home.
  The campaign to lift the import tax was started in this paper on September 24 when a story under a scare-head. "Treasury Department Murders Santa Claus," graced page 1.
  Through the co-operation of American war correspondents, the story was given wide circulation in newspapers and on the radio at home. There was almost instantaneous response.
  In the first place a War Department spokesman indicated that the CBI Roundup was off base in that the tariff was a matter of law and the Treasury Department had nothing to do with it other than to carry out the law.
  A similar spokesman for the Treasury Department then announced that his organization was "co-operating with the War Department in drafting legislation that will exempt from duty articles sent into the United States by men in the services so long as the value of the article does not exceed $50."
  Judging by clippings received here the American press conducted a needling campaign in the old tradition to revive Santa Claus.
  It had been hoped that a bill would pass in time for this Christmas. A $50 exemption bill was introduced in the House while the Senate came up with one for $100. The House won, but not before all thoughts of legislation were temporarily forgotten during the heat of the election.
  So, the bill is a little late for this Christmas, but you can send gifts home at any time now free from tax as long as the value is under $50.


  The D.F.C. was awarded to Major Edward F. Rector at a banquet held in his and Major David "Tex" Hill's honor recently.
  Both Major Rector and Major Hill were A.V.G. pilots who, when the Army took over last July 4th, stayed to command fighter squadrons. Now their jobs done, they are returning to the States.
  The dinner was termed by all a great success. Toastmaster was the Group Sgt. Major Leon McNevin.
  Our guests included Brig. Gen. Chennault, Col. Scott, Lt. Col. Vincent, Major Holloway, and many other officers of the China Air Task Force.
  Major Edward F. Rector was born at Marshall, North Carolina on September 28, 1916. He attended Marshall High School and was graduated in 1934. From high school he went to Catawba College at Salisbury, N.C. During his four years at college he played three years of Varsity football. After graduation he accepted a job in a Washington, D.C. department store and played professional football on the side until completing the physical examination prior to being enrolled in Flight School at Pensacola, Florida. While at the Naval Air School he played on the cadet football team.
  Following graduation he was ordered to a dive-bombing squadron aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Ranger where he remained until joining the A.V.G. in July, 1941. On July 18, 1942, he was inducted into the U.S. Army Air Corps as Major and took command of the 76th Fighter Squadron of the 23rd Fighter Group. He received the 6th order Cloud Banner from the Chinese Government.

Here are the contributions received this week:
 Rs. A.
I.A.T.F. Headquarters69 0
10th Air Force (additional)20 0
A Ferry Group Squadron294 5
An Indian Air Base792 1
Pfc. Mitchell Barker10 0
Pvt. L. H. Cohen10 0
Pvt. R. R. Fillinger10 0
A Bomb Group135 8
Miscellaneous10 0
Signal Section, 10th AF5 0
"Lt. John Doe"10 0
Total to date3,472 5


  We had hoped to give final returns on the C.B.I. Roundup Fund for the Bengal cyclone sufferers this week, but 'taint possible because of mail delays.
  We can report, however, that as of noon December 15, the total of collections in the hands of the Army Custodian is Rs. 3,472-5.
  Reports from more distant units in this theater indicate that the collections made will swell this considerably. A Fighter headquarters has advised 500 chips in hand and collections still being made, none of which has been received yet. An air base command represented in this week's acknowledgements, states several hundred more rupees in the mail.
  So we know the campaign will swell the Indian Red Cross cyclone relief fund any more than Rs. 4,000 and perhaps touch Rs. 5,000.
  Although the campaign now officially is closed, we'll save our thanks for the complete score in a later issue.


  Right from the States came a major with orders in his pocket: "Report to the Commanding General, Rear Echelon, Headquarters, United States Army Forces in China, Burma and India.
  Rear Echelon seemed puzzling to the major as he wandered through the long halls to the rear of the building, finally arriving at the office where the Roundup is sweated out. Then the major stated: "I'm looking for the Rear Echelon." A Pfc. replied: "Sir, this entire section of the building is the Rear Echelon." "But Rear Echelon," the major persisted, being at the rear of the building.
  The Pfc. then led the officer out of confusion by directing him to the Adjutant General, Rear Echelon.

These four people had a lot to do with the errand-boy work in the soldier show, "Roundup."  Lt. John Kitzmiller, Lois Nickerson, Dorothy Martin and Sgt. Jack Wright are the characters.  Anybody interested in a "Lonely Hearts Club" can find the Red Cross gals at the Mariana Hotel.

  One little piece of business during the second run of Delhi's soldier show, "Roundup," escaped most of the audience!
  There was a gag which required the comedians, Corp. Arny Schwartz and T/Sgt. Shy Greenspan to go into the audience to retrieve a "stolen" necktie. This was always done with a pair of shears.
  The victim on the second night was Vice Admiral Sir Herbert Fitzherbert, Commanding the Royal Indian Navy. Just before his tie was neatly snipped off, Schwartz turned to the lady on the admiral's left and with a flick of the hand said:
  "Get lost, baby. I want to struggle with the admiral."
  The lady "got lost" graciously and later commented that it was the funniest thing in the show.
  She was Lady Joan Hope, daughter of the Viceroy.

  Lt. Col. John L. M. Des Islets, commanding an air depot in India, decided he wanted to hire a feminine stenographer for his headquarters.
  He followed the normal routine with a radio to New Delhi asking authority and listing the gal's name, age, background and specifications. The section, "she meets educational requirements stop Letter follows" was garbled at the Delhi end to read:

Brig. Gen. Claire Chennault, head of the China Air Task Force, pins the Silver Star on Lt. Pat Daniels during a recent ceremony at which other CATF members were also honored.  Daniels was lost during subsequent operations.


  (The following is a condensation of an interview with Brigadier General Claire L. Chennault, Commander of the China Air Task Force).
  General Chennault, who has five and a half years' experience fighting the Japs with next to nothing, radiates hospitality and is a graveyard for all doubts about the war in China.
  As the airman who organized and led the fighting American Volunteer Group before he took over his present command, he believes he is fighting the weakest arm of the Japanese war machine and that destroying Japanese aviation is the first step toward defeating the Japanese.
  By frugally husbanding his resources and planning every action with exactitude, he has led an air force that has made an astonishing record, destroying ten or more Japanese planes for every one lost by the Americans. It has established air superiority wherever it has been able to operate. In his opinion, the Japanese air force is deteriorating. He does not think that it now includes many pilots of over four to six months' experience, and while new Japanese planes have excellent performance, the quality of their engines is deteriorating rapidly. He estimated Japan's ability to replace combat planes at not over 250 a month.
  By now, General Chennault is an old China hand. He not only likes the Chinese, who naturally regard him as something of a miracle man, but believes in them as soldiers. He has found the Chinese wonderfully co-operative, from the common soldier to the commanding officer, and generous with whatever material they have had.

  They're a cold-blooded bunch living in the officers' barracks in New Delhi.
  Maybe, however, they're just super-sanitary!
  At any rate when the quartermaster got their requisition for coal, coke and wood to heat hot water it figured out that the officers were asking for 42 pounds per man per day for steam coal, 20 pounds per man per day for coke and three pounds per man per day of wood.
  The requisition was denied!

Little Bawk, one of the Burmese nurses at the Chinese-American Training Center, awakens for another busy day.  Though only 4 feet 11 inches tall and weighing 82 pounds, she marched out of Burma with General Stilwell, lugging a big thermos jug, from which she passed out water and tea.
Her tresses almost as long as she is tall, are combed as Little Bawk goes about the business of effecting a picturesque Burmese hairdo.  L.B.'s real name is Maru Bawk - Maru being the family name, Bawk means "second girl of the family."  Like the rest of the girls in her unit, she's a tireless worker and accustomed to long hours.
Bed-making is next as she puts her own room in order before breakfast.  Our tiny picture subject is from the Shan States, Northern Burma, where her father is headmaster of a school.  There are three boys and two other girls in the Maru family.  Among other accomplishments, Little Bawk has proved herself to be an excellent jeep driver and handles a two-and-a-half-ton truck like an expert.  She once drove a fully loaded truck 100 miles in a single day over the hazardous Burma Road, a difficult task for a man.

Work on reports completes the morning; the previous time having been spent attending hospitalized Chinese trainees.  Here Little Bawk confers about a case with Major Gordon (Daddy) Seagrave, famed missionary surgeon, who organized the girls into a nursing unit in Burma.
After lunch, L.B. is back assisting Daddy Seagrave as he attends still more ailing Chinese.  When there is work to be done, Little Bawk is right at the Major's side.  Bawk has been with Dr. Seagrave since she was five years old.   She has been with the hospital unit as a nurse for five years.  During the Burma campaign when Dr. Seagrave was about to make a reconnaissance mission to the front, L.B. insisted that he not go unless he took her with him and she even hid the keys to the auto.

Major Seagrave does some surgery and L.B. assists.  She and fellow Burmese nurses at the Training Center have earned reputations as being among the finest nurses in the world.  In Burma these girls did minor surgery by themselves.  The girls made rafts when General Stilwell's group had to go down the Uru River on the march out.
After a busy day in the hospital, L.B. gets assistance in the back washing department from Ruby, a fellow Burmese nurse.
The evening meal with other nurses and hospital workers.  Little Bawk is seen at the extreme left.  The tamin (food) at this table is, of course, a Burmese menu.  The first day of the Tongoo battle the girl's worked for 36 hours straight, under fire.  Never did one of the girls run from a bombing though bombs were bursting around their field units.

After dinner, three of the girls get together in Little Bawk's room for some music.  Ruby is doing the guitar playing.  That's Lulu behind her.
Ready for a night's sleep in preparation for another busy day tomorrow.  Pleasant dreams, Little Bawk.

 By ALFRED WAGG   Liberty Magazine Correspondent
  Proceeding into an unadministered area of the Naga Hills, an American Army Major and a single guide-interpreter came upon two Naga women, who, terrified with fear of the strangers, dropped a large cone-shaped basket that they were carrying and raced off into dense undergrowth.
  The guide cautioned against going deeper

This Theater's newest general is Brig. Gen. Robert C. Oliver, head of our Air Service Command.  Here he is just a few minutes after the star struck.
into this no-man's land. However the Major decided that he would continue, for he would have to meet them some day and wished to express his friendship. As the Major followed a narrowing trail, every tale about head-hunting flashed across his mind.
  Adding to his mental anguish, the path was edged by cane and tall grasses, which set the scene for a storied ambush; footprints indicated that tribesmen had recently been about the area. In the midst of indecision as to whether to go farther, strange voices echoed ahead.
  The Major, after directing his guide to call out a warning of the approach of friends, entered a small clearing where three Naga warriors sat solemnly by the fireside. The guide conversed with two of the three tribesmen, while the third, a fattened fellow, sat back cross-legged and grinning slightly.
  fearing an unpleasant incident as a result of surprising the women, the Major asked the guide to explain that they hadn't meant any harm and asked the guide to find out what was wrong with the third Naga, who by this time was the source of no end of annoyance and suspicion.
  After questioning, the Naga, with abroad grin from ear-ring to ear-ring, began opening a small box and then took out an old can, from which he withdrew a small paper.
  With all the portliness he could command, the Naga handed the Major a scrawly note written in English: "This Naga wants work with the United States Army."
  As a result the Naga is now working with the U.S. Army.
  The Major remarked: "That's the first time I've been hit for a job and liked it."


The guys who carried the load at the Delhi soldier show were Corp. Arny Schwartz (upper left with phone), and T/Sgt. Shy Greenspan, holding the sign.  With them is Sgt. Jack Supman, who acted as Master of Ceremonies.  A lot of the needling was done by Pvt. Jesse James who ate his lunch on the stage during the second act and raised hell in general with everybody.  Pvts. Nicholas Reyes and Valentin Almendarez received the most applause with their Mexican songs.

Vice Admiral Sir Herbert Fitzherbert, shown coming in with Mrs. Mel Saunders and her sister, Hannah Lennan, got his necktie clipped off on the second night and loved it (we hope).  Sgt. Rholie Bailey, center, rolled them in the aisles with a strip-tease straight from burlesque while Seemah Joshua and Beulah Cronin performed in the Conga line.

Pfc. Mack B. Anderson

  Pfc. Mark B. Anderson has been cited for bravery and awarded the Silver Star for his action under fire last October when Jap planes attacked an airfield in eastern Assam. The citation follows:
  "On October 25, 1942, at an airdrome in Assam, India, during a violent strafing attack by eighteen Japanese fighters, Private First Class Anderson proceeded to _ single-handedly manned a .30-caliber machine gun, when taking cover in a nearby slit trench would not have brought censure. His gun was in open terrain since the firing pit had not been completed. With utter disregard for his personal safety, being subjected to almost continuous fire from the attacking airplanes, he returned their fire until failure of a part put his gun out of action. He then continued firing with his automatic pistol. Several Japanese fighters definitely centered their attack on his position. His extreme coolness under fire was an example, in this initial attack, in keeping with the highest traditions of the Service and sets the highest standard in a branch of the Service not basically combatant."


  The Tenth Air Force announced this week the awarding of two Air Medals and 10 Silver Stars to officers and enlisted men.
  Air medals were awarded to Brigadier General Caleb Haynes and Lt. Col. Herbert Morgan, Jr. Silver Star honors went to Col. Homer L. Sander, Capt. Charles W. Dunning (posthumous), Lt. Edward M. Nollmeyer, Lt. Kermit C. Hynds, Lt. William R. Rodgers, Lt. Sheldon H. Wutter, S/Sgt. Arthur Webber, Sgt. Calvin W. Croom, Pfc. Mack B. Anderson, Pvt. Wiley O. Cart. All the Silver Stars were awarded for action at the time of the Japanese air raids on airfields in Assam last October.
  The recipients and their citations follow:
"On October 25, 1942, Brigadier General Haynes personally led, as pilot, a bombing raid by 12 American medium bombers against the Japanese-held port of Hong Kong, China. This mission was successfully completed over one of the best protected enemy strongholds in the Far East, and in the face of heavy anti-aircraft fire as well as aerial attack by numerically superior enemy aircraft. Notwithstanding the concentration of fire upon his own aircraft, the lead ship, by enemy fighters and ground batteries, General Haynes led his formation to the target area with such skill and courage that the 12 bombers were enabled to completely cover the target area with seventy-two 500-pound bombs, thus accomplishing a maximum of destruction to enemy installations. The formation was attacked by a superior number of enemy fighters directly over the target. General Haynes, instead of avoiding the enemy, turned his aircraft and made a head-on attack on the Japanese fighters. So coolly and courageously did he maneuver his bomber that his top gunner was able to shoot down two enemy aircraft confirmed. General Haynes' disregard for personal safety, and his skill and extraordinary heroism under fire were an example to every officer and man on this front, and reflect great credit upon the military forces of the United States. Home Address: City Court Apartments, Garden City, New York."
"On October 25, 1942, Lieutenant Colonel Herbert Morgan flew as bombardier in the lead ship when a formation of 12 American medium bombers attacked one of the best defended Japanese strongholds in the Far East - Hong Kong, China. In the face of highly concentrated anti-aircraft fire and attacks by enemy fighters, Lieutenant Colonel Morgan coolly and accurately directed his own and the following ships to the target area, which our 12 ships completely covered with seventy-two 500-pound bombs. Less than eight hours after this action, Colonel Morgan led a flight of three medium bombers in a night mission against White Cloud Airdrome at Canton, China. Finding the primary target covered with fog, he led his ships successfully through a screen of seven enemy night fighters and bombed other strategic points in the Canton area. Thus, in one day, Lieutenant Colonel Morgan acted as lead bombardier in the daylight mission against Hong Kong, and as Flight Commander of the night mission against Canton. His cool and extraordinary heroism under concentrated enemy attack on a daylight mission and daring leadership on a night mission - the same day - both of which were beyond the call of his duty as a staff officer - were an inspiration to the entire Bomber Unit, and reflects great credit upon the military forces of the United States. Home address: 245 Melwood Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."

Pursuant to the authority contained in Army Regulations 600-45, War Department, Washington, D.C., August 8, 1932, the Silver Star, for gallantry in action, is awarded the following named officers and men:
Homer L. Sanders, 017412, Colonel,
Air Corps, Commanding, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, Colonel Sanders had just taken off on a patrol with Captain Charles W. Dunning before the first surprise attack by the Japanese on the area by fifty heavy bombers and forty-five fighter aircraft. Despite the violence of the attack and the overwhelming numerical superiority of the enemy, Colonel Sanders and Captain Dunning fought gallantly until Captain Dunning fell before the attack. Colonel Sanders then, with extraordinary heroism, continued fighting alone and for several minutes was the only aircraft in the air against the total enemy force of ninety-five planes. After the raid, as the enemy withdrew, Colonel Sanders followed one group of fighters for a hundred miles, attacked many times, and shot down two enemy fighters, both confirmed. Home address: Tucumcari, New Mexico."
Charles W. Dunning, Captain, Air Corps,
*** Fighter Group. (Posthumous award)
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, captain Dunning was on a patrol with his Group Commander when their airdrome and satellite fields were attacked by a force of fifty bombers and forty-five fighters. While their supporting fighters, caught on the ground by the sudden attack, were attempting to get into action, Captain Dunning and Colonel Sanders bore the brunt of the attack. During this time, despite great odds, Captain Dunning, with great courage and skill, and with utter disregard of his own safety, attacked vastly superior forces of the enemy again and again until he fell before the guns of an overwhelming number of enemy fighters. While his loss was keenly felt by all officers and enlisted men of the *** Fighter Group, his courage and determination to destroy the enemy will forever be an inspiration to those who knew him. Next of kin: Mrs. Dorothy Dunning (wife), 10725 Ashton Avenue, W. Los Angeles, California."

Edward M. Nollmeyer, First Lieutenant, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, he took the air upon receiving the warning of approaching enemy planes. This force consisted of over twenty-five fighter type aircraft. At the close of the ensuing action he found himself alone against the entire flight of enemy planes. Disregarding the odds against him, and the extreme personal danger, he attacked with great courage the entire group, and succeeded in bringing down one plane in flames. Home address: 1221 Grand Avenue, Everett, Washington."
Kermit C. Hynds, Second Lieutenant, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, he was called upon to defend his base, in company with seven other fighter pilots, against an enemy attack of thirty-six bombers and twelve fighters. In this, his first contact with the enemy, he displayed great courage and skill and fighting with extreme perseverance, he succeeded in destroying one enemy bomber and a Zero fighter. Home address: Austin, Texas."
William R. Rodgers, Second Lieutenant, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, he took the air upon receiving the warning of approaching enemy planes, which materialized into a flight of thirty-six heavy bombers and thirteen Zero fighters. Despite the overwhelming odds and the dangers to be encountered from the enemy protective fighters, with great courage he made a single-handed attack on a flight of sixteen enemy bombers, inflicting severe damage on three. Home Address: Rolling Fork, Mississippi."

Sheldon H. Nutter, Second Lieutenant, Coast Artillery Corps, *** CA (AA) Btry., AW (Sep.).
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, during a violent aerial attack he remained at his post, which was situated in a tree, in an area heavily attacked, and with coolness and courage directed the fire of his battery from that post. A withdrawal to a safer position was his prerogative, but he remained that he might better direct the fire of his battery. Home address: 2834 Hillegrass Avenue, Berkeley, California."
Arthur Webber, Staff Sergeant, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, during a violent aerial attack of eighteen Japanese bombers and fifteen Zero fighters, he courageously assisted his pilot in an attempt to get his fighter aircraft started and into the air. Regardless of extreme personal danger, due to the continuous bombardment and machine gunning, Sergeant Webber continued in his attempt until the plane burst into flame from incendiaries and had to be abandoned. Home Address: Willamina, Oregon."
Calvin W. Croom, Sergeant, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, in Assam, India, during a violent aerial attack of eighteen Japanese bombers and fifteen Zero fighters, he courageously assisted his pilot in an attempt to get his fighter aircraft started and into the air. Regardless of extreme personal danger, due to the continuous bombardment and machine gunning, Sergeant Croom continued in his attempt until an exploding bomb blew off the wing of the plane and it had to be abandoned. Home address: Pixley, California."
Wiley O. Cart, Private, Air Corps, *** Fighter Group.
"On October 25, 1942, Private Cart, during a violent strafing attack on an airdrome is Assam, India, took charge of and operated a .30 caliber machine gun which he and others had previously put in commission. During this attack, which was made by eighteen flying bombers, he was observed by several witnesses to have killed the forward observer in one of these. He later directed his fire at an attacking Zero fighter which was last observed smoking and diving to the ground. His extreme courage and coolness under fire in this initial attack sets a high standard for others to emulate. Home address: Clifftop, West Virginia."

China Ace Club Goes To Town
 By M/Sgt. L. R. McNEVEN

  On November 27 over Canton, the Yank airmen were able to infuriate the Japs to such a degree that they were finally able to gather sufficient courage to come up and try their hand with the pilots of the Fighter Command, who were acting as escorts for our bombers. So efficiently did the fighter pilots perform their mission that the gunners of the bombers complained that they could get in but a few shots as the fighter pilots were shooting the Japs down before they could come into firing range.
  In this action - of the 32 Japs that came up to intercept our planes - 24 were blasted out of the air (21 by the fighter pilots and 3 by the bomber gunners). In addition to this fire was delivered on four more enemy planes that are listed as probably destroyed but have not been confirmed. Only five pilots failed to bag an enemy plane.
  It was in this action that First Lieut. John D. Lombard of a fighter squadron shot down his fifth plane to become the Theater's third ace. It was only a few days before that three enemy bombers came over an advanced airdrome at night and Lieut. Lombard together with Major Pike, of the same fighter squadron and Lieut. Joseph Griffin of another squadron, were sent up to meet them. Major Pike and Lieut. Griffin each shot one out of the air and Lieut. Lombard shot at the other one. It was not until three days later the Chinese Intelligence reported that the third plane had been damaged to such an extent that it crashed into the mountains on its way back to its base. This was a perfect night, three planes came over and none escaped. The fire of our planes accounted for all.
  Colonel Scott functioned in his usual manner - shooting down two planes. Not being content with these the Colonel saw some planes at the airdrome and having some ammunition left - descended and destroyed a transport plane on the ground. This brings his total planes destroyed to 11 (nine shot down and two destroyed on the ground).
  Captain John Hampshire was high man for the day shooting down three confirmed enemy fighters during this single battle.
  The entire mission was performed without loss of personnel or aircraft.
  Three other pilots need only one more victory to bring them into the ACE class as Major Hill, Capt. Hampshire and Capt. Mahony have four each.
  The following officers have three each: Major Alison, Major Holloway, Capt. Barnum, Capt. Goss, Lieut. Daniels, Lieut. DuBois, and Lieut. Marks.
  It is expected that the next mission will produce several new faces in the ACE club.

Here are the guys that all you air force jokers out in the field get mad at.  They are the members of Brig. Gen. Clayton Bissell's air force staff.  Left to right they are: Lt. Col. Clyde C. Box, acting deputy C of S; Lt. Col. Walter Urbach, A.G.; Lt. Col. Ralph H. Rusk, Signal Officer; Maj. Rudolph E. Hegdahl, Hq. Commandant; Col. Harvey B. Porter, surgeon; Col. Robert F. Tate, CO ICFC; Lt. Col. Melville C. Robinson, Exec., ASC; Gen. Bissell; Col. William D. Old, C of S; Col. Charles H. Caldwell, A-1; Lt. Col. Harold B. Wright, A-2; Col. Emmett O'Donnell, Jr., A-3; Col. Birrell Walsh, A-4 and Col. Oliver A. Hess, IG.
Here is this week's winner in the Roundup's weekly amateur photo contest.  It's S/Sgt. Thomas J. Bradley's shot of an Indian Soldiers' War Memorial.

China Victory Club Opened

  The first Enlisted Men's Club to be opened by the Red Cross in the China-Burma-India Theater was celebrated on December 1st at an advanced base in China.
  The building in which the club is located was one supplied by the Chinese War Area Service Command. The interior as well as the outside was brilliantly lighted in Chinese fashion. For the first time in many months the soldiers were privileged to enter an atmosphere similar to those found at home. The floors were covered with rugs and shelves of books were available to 150 in attendance.
  Guests at the opening included General Chennault; Mr. Ludden - American Consul; Mr. Drummond - Field Director, International Red Cross; Mr. Y. C. Mei - President of Chinese National Southwest Associated Universities and Colonel McCammon.
  Your correspondent dropped in to get the dope for the Roundup and was promptly informed that he was to be Master of Ceremonies or something.
  Mr. Ludden briefly outlined the plan on which the Club was opened and the method by which it would be operated.
  Following this, Mr. Drummond told of the future plans of the Club: Dances, parties, games, etc.

Coming up from the tomb in the Taj Mahal are Pfc. John C. Byrom, Jr., and Sgt. Leroy R. Bergin, both of whom are on a sightseeing tour.   The gentleman with the lantern and the beard is a guide.
He also revealed plans of opening clubs elsewhere - some places now held by the enemy.
  General Chennault then briefly outlined necessities for the continued success of such a Club and stated that next year by this time we should have one opened in Tokyo.
  President Mei explained the gratitude of the Chinese for the presence of American airmen and how it had given all a sort of sense of security. He called all members of the Armed Forces guests of the Chinese Republic and stated that all were anxious to make them feel as such. The best part of his speech to most of the boys was that he would be able to supply dancing partners from the University for our future dances.
  The speeches were then brought to a close by Colonel McCammon as he announced the winner of a contest for the naming of the Club. Private First Class Stanley Rafalowski of the Base Unit was awarded a beautiful silver dragon bracelet for submitting the name: "Victory Club."
  As Privates Sereg and Kwitkowski rendered numbers on the banjo and guitar, those in attendance were served refreshments by Mrs. L. K. Taylor and Mrs. Turner, who were acting as hostesses. A good time was had by all as chess, checkers and cards were played as others listened to radio broadcasts from home on the new radio.


  (This is an open letter to Henry Morgenthau, the squire from Upstate New York and Secretary of the Treasury. - Ed.)

Dear Hank:
  You can come home now - all is forgiven!
  We out here were a little browned off at you when the War Department came through with the announcement that those little gifts our GI's had been buying to buck up home morale were going to be taxed.
  We saw the announcement from your establishment that it all had to do with the law and that the Treasury Department really was not full of nasty old men as some people (Republicans) have often suggested. Then the War Department gave us a little kick in the pants and took your side, all of which made the cheese more binding, if you get what we mean.
  You see, it's this way. A soldier comes out here and he always leaves one or more girls at home to whom he must naturally send little presents from time to time.
  Coincidentally most of them now have one or more girls out here for whom they must buy gifts from time to time. Under the old setup the girl out here got her presents gratis. The gal at home got hers with a Treasury Department due bill.
  A definite case of racial discrimination!
  That was the crux of the whole thing, because one of the tenets of the Atlantic or some other charter looked down its nose at racial discrimination. That's why we don't like the Nazis'
  Now the bill has been passed and our boys can buy 15-cent star sapphires for $50 to their hearts content. They can buy up all the carved ivory in India - and they probably will.
  There's just one more thing - will you send over a few extra ships to lug the stuff back that has accumulated? It's getting in the way here and this is war, you know.

The C.B.I. Roundup is a weekly newspaper published by and for the men of the United States Army Forces in China, Burma, and India, from news and pictures supplied by staff members, soldier correspondents, Office of War Information and other sources. The Roundup is published Thursday of each week and is printed by The Statesman in New Delhi, India. Editorial matter should be sent directly to Major Fred Eldridge, Rear Echelon Hq., U.S.A.F. C.B.I., New Delhi, and should arrive not later than Monday in order to make that week's issue. Pictures must arrive by Sunday and must be negatives or enlargements. Stories should contain full name and organization of sender.

DECEMBER  17,  1942  

Adapted from the original issue of CBI Roundup

Copyright © 2009 Carl Warren Weidenburner